Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:37 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:02 am 
Ain't no party like an S Club party
Ain't no party like an S Club party

Well, I still cry about that frame...

Persuaded Eric to ship it over to me, but it was simply too big and there wasn't really much I could do about it.

Bitch.

Plan was to build with the frame up with black GT 3D forks and black GT Flip Flop II stem [both sold now] and XC Pro MD groupset with HS33 RaceLine F&R brakes in yellow and Onza Porc gum walls [I think!]

But, that was a while ago and my bike building tastes have changed a bit since then...

It will look great either way you propose. If I was being selfish I'd say sell me the blue HyperLites and go with the Syncros, but in honesty I think the blue will work really well.

One thing though - the decals are too big! They need reducing a fair bit I'd say before final printing - assuming they're proofs of course!

Cheers, and enjoy,

BB.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:16 pm 
Retro Guru

that eraof rapidfire lever is very nice. thumbies are cool though and more fun...i think. they also look fantastic on the handlebar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:07 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Yes, decals are here! Took me ages to get them sorted! Gil_m and tomasius (German forum) couldn't help but luckily someone had created them himself a few years ago and could provide me with an Adobe Illustrator file. A local sticker shop produced the decals for me.

Edit: here is an add I found in an old magazine (German "Bike"):

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:28 pm 
BoTY Winner
BoTY Winner

Excited to see how this one turns out! It was a fun bike to own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:51 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Some news - bad ones, though.

The main decals are great!

However, the decals "competetion series" and "groove tube" which are printed on a see-through layer turn from turquoise/light blue to green, once I stick them on the frame. :(

Using the decals on the white layer (see "groove tube") is no option because you see too much white.

Therefore: shall I try to find a solution - cannot really be bothered at the moment - or shall I just not use the "competetion series" and "groove tube" stickers. I quite fancy the latter option as the bike then looks "cleaner".

I know, the "all terra" is missing and the "Psyclone" is a bit crooked - please ignore that.

What do you think? Try to get the "groove tube" and "competation series" done or leave it? I want to put the decals under clearcoat so it is not something I can change easily.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:42 am 
Retro Guru

a pain for sure. seeing as you have gone to so much trouble, i would suggest a little more trouble and getting it perfect...if you are like me...once its clear coated it will probably bug you forever...

the original competition series and groove tube all look smaller in size than what you have printed up? they also appear to be black? that would be much easier to get right if you decided to replicate the black decal.

your GT of the top tube GT all terra also looks to be slightly too large?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:11 pm 
BoTY Winner
BoTY Winner

Paint color looks off too. Could be the lighting.

This is why I usually refrain from repaint. Its only original once.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:54 am 
Retro Guru

Looking very nice indeed!

It's always a shame to lose the original paint, but this one was too bad to leave. If I had kept it I planned to have it repainted too.

Where the paint had been sheltered under the mech clamp and cable guide the paint had a fantastic depth to it, but the rest was very faded and had loads of deep chips. The driveside chainstay was particularly bad all the way along it and around the bottom bracket the paint was flaking to bare metal. Although it had no corrosion when I got it, there's no way it could have been subjected it to any real riding in our climate without suffering.

I covered the worst chips with some poorly matched touch up paint while I was trying to source decals and choosing a paint shop (couldn't find anyone using the right dupont imron paint) but like BoyBurning I found the size just wouldn't work for me (although in my case it was too small).

Glad it's got the care it deserves - it's a beautiful frame!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:08 am 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

I am so jealous, this is the bike I am currently after...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:07 am 
Old School Grand Master

lewisfoto wrote:
I am so jealous, this is the bike I am currently after...

Good luck.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next