Kona Manomano 1997

al-onestare

BoTM Winner
Kona Fan
The story so far. Bought, restored and sold on 3 Kona's. The commute is a 96 white Cinder Cone and I finally sorted out my dream bike, the 97 Explosif - my first proper off-road beast (see the signature for more details).

Back in the spring up popped a pristine 1997 Manomano frame in the for sale section. I knew very little about the frame or the bike (if you haven't guessed, the 1997 range of Kona's are my favourite) but I'd become increasingly curious about full-suss machines.

p1040322_189.jpg

After a lovely trip to Sletti's man-cave a mere 5 or 6 miles from my HQ (top man by the way - he has some LOVELY bikes) I was the new proud owner.

dsc00230sq.jpg

The history is that it was ridden a handful of times before being put into a long early retirement. The paintwork is 95% excellent with only a few nicks on the decals and very minor chips to the rear triangle. I've been over the frame so many times looking for cracks, fingers crossed my eyes are working as I haven't spotted any.

Anthony - the don - provided some excellent information and guidance and the quest started to build up the parts list. That coupled with the Explosif and Rapide builds (see signiture) meant this went on the back-burner...until now.

For forks I got a pair of 97 Z2's from a Kula of the same year but the steerer was too short (this was odd considering they were from a 19" frame which suggests that set-up was all wrong). Fast forward to the other week and again, through the sale section search engine I got a rather tasty pair or almost NOS Rock Shox Judy XC's (thanks Inzaman). They are a tad longer that the standard P2/Indy SL's of the era but it's very marginal and thanks to Anthony's re-assurances, shouldn't be an issue with geometry.

P1000226.jpg

For eveything else, I hold my hands up and say I paid WAY over the odds when I bought a 1997 Kilauea on ebay late summer. But everything bar the forks, seat post and clamp will be used (not the chain) as it was in tip top condition. It also meant I could help out Canuck with his frame search and recoup a little bit of the outlay; fingers crossed it arrives in Denmark this week!

dsc0096cn.jpg

I'd like to get it finished before Christmas but I think it'll be tight, especially as Project Old-Man (the Rapide) needs to take priority. There aren't many Manomano owners as far as I can tell, so any thoughts and experiences of riding these would be very welcome!

Current status is that it has the forks fitted with a lovely new CK silver headset and some minor post production stickers carefully removed.

Last edited:
Watching with interest :D I'wouldn't worry about the length of the Judy, the Dart 2 with 80mm of travel must be way higher than the original Indy XC and I don't think it screwed the geometry :cool: BTW sorry I didn't add any new pictures of my Manomano, hopefully I'll find time for that soon :oops:

Regards from Vienna

Mathias

So thanks to the 3rd world infrastructure in Hungary, my weekend trip to Budapest didn't happen. It meant I could finished Project Old-man (see the Road Bike thread) and mess about with this.

My kitchen on Saturday afternoon:

dsc0223ov.jpg

Note to Bikepedia, a Manomano doesn't take a 110mm spindle BB. The granny ring doesn't have enough clearance and hits the swing arm pivot so a longer one will be ordered today. Also, the front LX vbrake bolts are too long for the Judy's I'm using.

On the plus side the LX kit has polished up really well and I'll be able to get the wheels sorted and fitted this week. After that and the new BB she'll just need cabling up and the chain fitted. More work in progress shots to come...

So there I was last night, living the retro dream: Die Hard in the background, a messy kitchen, the smell of degreaser and lots of fiddling. I've just sorted out the wheels with a good clean, re-lube and re-construction.

For the first time I put the wheels on sit back and have a big grin on my face. Then I think "hhmmm - this looks a bit big" - measure up - oh it's a 20" not a 19" :LOL:

dsc0227y.jpg

With the seat a bit lower than normal I still found the reach ok but I'm looking forward to trying it out to see how much of a difference that extra inch in height and length make on the trails.

Anyway, BB should arrive today - cables and grips later this week :cool: The red is really vibrant. Kona really nailed it with the 97 colour scheme.

Yes - this looks *really* big :cool: espcecially compared to mine (I think it must be 16"). Just the yellow in the tires is a bit irritating :shock:

However - really nice :D

EDIT: BTW I think you have to add this thread to your signature :)

Wienerwald":20jkl2x6 said:
Yes - this looks *really* big :cool: espcecially compared to mine (I think it must be 16"). Just the yellow in the tires is a bit irritating :shock:

However - really nice :D

EDIT: BTW I think you have to add this thread to your signature :)

I think the yellow on the tyres and saddle compliment the graphics :cool: Each to their own ;)

Back