Rob Atkin wrote:
Can't you put your updates on here rather than linking to another site?
Here's a resume of the resto so far!
Firstly some shots of the first strip-down session… the plastic brake lever shrouds proved very tough to remove and the driveside cotterpin was rather reluctant to to leave home but there were no really major issues to report.
However, may have to re-tap the threads at the rear of the chainstay (for the bolt on seatstays) as the bolts came out looking 'a bit' stripped, and the holes at the top of the seatstays are looking a little mashed – but nothing worse than expected...
Sturmey-Archer detail... parts from the rear hub after a good clean. The axle feels fine and dandy after a brief cone twiddle, so hopefully not going have to go in deeper!
The next photos show the frame and parts almost ready for refinishing and were taken on a freezing morning in late November! I gently levered out the crushed seatpost clamp area (which is in fact threaded on the driveside) and just needed to remove the headbadge and the ‘dimples’ (aka ‘thimbles’) in the original fork’s crown. In the end they came out using this method:http://www.raleighgrifter.proboards.com ... hread=714#
Also pictured are the front brake pads clips and the Renthal bar brace (which is going to be powdercoated black with polished clamp and new bolts) and the stem (ditto but with black clamps). The frame number is NE3022591 which I believe means…
N = Nottingham
E = April
3 = 1983
022591 = unit number
Next, with a few exceptions (wheels, saddle, handlebars, brakes and of course all the parts that are being painted) here’s all of Lemmy’s parts cleaned up and ready to go. New chain, grips, cables, cotterpins, bar ends and bar clamp bolts with restored original headbadge, headset, BB, cranks, pie plate. Also shown are the NOS pedals with restored rear wheel fittings and brake lever clamps, plus new decals and stem bolts with restored original quill bolt and reflector. Mike already had the saddle rail clamp re-zinc-plated.
Finally got Lemmy stripped in late January... I love seeing frames in this state, 'admiring' the brazing on this was fun.
I lightly filed and sanded worst of Lemmy's many imperfections down in the boot of my friends car and took him off to be powdercoated by Will & Pete at Sprayquick in Bredbury...
Meanwhile I got the brakes ready… and here they are, all cleaned up and polished (with new leather faced pads, restored fork braces – NOS rubber sheaths are in the post from a cool guy on eBay – a red alu washer by Weinmann that I turned around, and one adjuster replaced). Typically for the era, the adjusters and main central bolts feature Raleigh’s proprietary threading – so replacements nuts are like hen’s teeth! Excuse rubbish pic with intense flash!
And here's the wheels polished up, pictured before I rebuilt the hubs and fitted the new tyres...
PARTS FOR SALE:
vintage Brooks Professional saddle | Specialized FACT CX fork | Columbus fork | Reynolds 531 fork | Avid Arch Rival v-brakes | various 700c, 27" and 26" wheels | vintage Weco hubs (fixed/freewheel) | vintage Raleigh ladies frames + lots more!