1992 Kona Lava Dome - seatpost nightmare......

MiniNinjaRob

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
So last night, down a dodgy dark street in Leeds a strange man robbed me of all the money in my wallet and all he left me was this shonky old MTB frame......

He said his name was Ringo? ;-) :-D

null_zpsd2bdc838.jpg

Probably the worst stuck seatpost ever in the history of stuck seatposts. Someone has tried chopping it out, and bits are folded back into the seat tube. I hit it with a hammer and screwdriver a bit then poured some engine oil down there and walked away. I don't think it's an impossible task to remove it but it'll be worth it as the paint is quite nice and not spolied.

Not sure what to do with it after that though........ I have a severe lack of wheels at the moment...

only one thing for it rob...

drill it. you will be there forever fraternising over the how and what to do.

assuming alloy is left in there, a good sharp metal bit will self-guide itself down. if you remove 'enough' to get a 300mm-350mm post in then you're sorted.

good solid kona beyond that issue though ;)

marc two tone":obwkifp6 said:
only one thing for it rob...

drill it. you will be there forever fraternising over the how and what to do.

assuming alloy is left in there, a good sharp metal bit will self-guide itself down. if you remove 'enough' to get a 300mm-350mm post in then you're sorted.

good solid kona beyond that issue though ;)

Yeah it's ok, I'll keep at it for a while, it'll eventually yield. No point in rushing it and breaking something by being impatient.

Ive got a 92 cindercone and thats 26.4 ...but mine has the seperate seatpost collar so may not be :? sorry not much help realy :oops: im sure someone will be along soon to confirm corect size ;)

Mick :)

If it is aluminium post, can you not try caustic coda and melting it out. Will purge the rust from the inside too.

Think it was kingoffootball who had a good thread on an old GT he did this (very well) with.

Watch you tube vids on caustic soda method of removal. Needs to be aluminium post though.

Back