Wookiee's 1991 Team Marin COMPLETE BUILD NOW FOR SALE!

wookiee

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Thought I should start a thread in the correct place!

So...after a couple of years hunting for the right model I stumbled across this ol girl on Ebay last night. Some frantic emailing to the seller told me that he was a fellow retrobiker! I pleaded...offered my right kidney then even my wife but thankfully he accepted my cash offer!!

So this afternoon like an excited kid I went to pick it up...Its everything I had hoped for! Firstly it fits...secondly the zolatone paint is near perfect...a couple of bits needed here and there but basically very much up to scratch!

In the ebay ad it had said that the left hand shifter didn't shift down from the big front ring to the middle only into the small...turns out the shifter was fine and that the front mech was too low and fouling the big ring. This wasn't allowing it into the middle ring but with the added pressure of shifting to the small ring it would force it past the big ring...so problem solved!

The rims were thought quite worn a little concave but this may have just been mistaken for the concave on RM17s. I might try and source a pair of black or grey Mavic M231's or Araya RM17's NOS rims and relace them to the hubs (which are M730 XT and silky smooth) everything else is in very good condition...a couple of scuffs to the decals but nothing much to worry about.

It has a very strange seatpost size though 30.3mm!...which may account for the need for a band on front mech. I'm guessing the prestige tubes they used where a non standard size...Oh in case anyones interested I thought I would weight it and it comes in just under 26lbs! Happy with that!

A couple of things that I would like to change so I'll keep updating as things change

A happy retrobiker and thanks to the forum for its assistance!

NOW FOR SALE AS A COMPLETE BIKE! SEE LINK BELOW!

viewtopic.php?f=2&p=2517390#p2517390

Wook

Attachments

• marin team 2.jpg
    marin team 2.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 5,661
  • marin team 8.jpg
    marin team 8.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 5,661
  • marin team 3.jpg
    marin team 3.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 5,661
  • marin team 5.jpg
    marin team 5.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 5,660
  • marin team 4.jpg
    marin team 4.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 5,664
  • marin team 6.jpg
    marin team 6.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 5,965
  • marin team 7.jpg
    marin team 7.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 5,666
  • marin team 1.jpg
    marin team 1.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 5,662
Had loads of fun taking it out and getting it proper muddy!...So a bit more progress got some new wheels...Mavic M231's on XT M730 & M732 hubs. They had alledgedly only seen 100 miles of on road use. When I got them I believe it! the braking surfaces are berely marked and the spokes nipples etc have zero corrosion! The free hub makes that lovely solid clicking sound just like new! Very pleased with them and I know its a personal thing but I love grey/black rims with skin/amber wall tyres. (Although I know its not to everyones taste and non original but period correct..)

Also slammed on the toe clips (can't live without them!) and some Ritchey WCS foam grips which look just like the original Marin ones. I have a NOS set of Onza barends on the way so they will be next on. As for the stem thats still a work in progress. Sourced a NOS Pine Mountain stem but its a 1992 and orange! Seems too good to rub down and respray, so I'm in the process of getting the correct year and even colour but it will need a respray :D :D :D

Attachments

• 1991 Marin Team with Mavics 4.jpg
    1991 Marin Team with Mavics 4.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 5,642
  • 1991 Marin Team with Mavics 3.jpg
    1991 Marin Team with Mavics 3.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 5,638
  • 1991 Marin Team with Mavics 2.jpg
    1991 Marin Team with Mavics 2.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 5,638
  • 1991 Marin Team with Mavics 1.jpg
    1991 Marin Team with Mavics 1.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 5,641
  • muddy team marin 2.jpg
    muddy team marin 2.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 5,618
Nice one wookiee. Love this mate. I've just picked up a 91 Eldridge which I have a similar treatment ready for. I'm a fan of black rims with tan walls. Best combo in my opinion. I'm starting a build thread for mine soon although it will be more of a clean up and rebuild than a full resto.

jimbog":78jthkpw said:
Nice one wookiee. Love this mate. I've just picked up a 91 Eldridge which I have a similar treatment ready for. I'm a fan of black rims with tan walls. Best combo in my opinion. I'm starting a build thread for mine soon although it will be more of a clean up and rebuild than a full resto.

Yeah with you all the way on the black rim tan wall combo! Although a mate of mine compares them to wearing white socks with black shoes!

I'll be interested to see your Eldridge....

....oh and looking for a matching pair of very good or NOS tan wall tyres anything considered...

The Eldridge is nowhere near the condition of this and needs tlc but I'm ready to give it a go. My mate littlemarkie is building a 90 team marin and a 90 pine mountain along with mine. Threads to come soon.

Also got my sister a 90 palisades as a surprise Xmas pressie. She had one when she was 17 but it got nicked. She's always wanted another one since!

One weird thing is that in the catalogue it shows the rear gear cable routing along the top tube...mine goes under the bottom bracket and I only have the rear brake cable on the top tube so anyone shed any light on this?

Great bike. This is one I need to add to my collection. - wanna sell it?

I alway thought the rear gear cable went along the top tube on the team Marin. The team marin was the only one in the range to have a Tange Prestige frame, maybe your's is a normal frame rebadged? = best sell it to me.

Back