Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:57 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:39 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:47 am
Posts: 466
Location: belgium
petitpal wrote:
When you look at pics of Elgin's though, and that era, the bars do fit it's heritage quite nicely

True, I just don't like the extra v-bar. But it certainly does not look out of place.
I'm interested in how it will ride too, once the headset is fitted.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:44 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:32 am
Posts: 1594
Location: Worcestershire / West Midlands
Bram J wrote:
petitpal wrote:
When you look at pics of Elgin's though, and that era, the bars do fit it's heritage quite nicely

True, I just don't like the extra v-bar. But it certainly does not look out of place.
I'm interested in how it will ride too, once the headset is fitted.


I know what you mean - I was a bit unsure at first, but it's grown on me - like it now. Like you say - interested how it will ride now and how it will stand up to a bit of abuse. :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:19 pm 
Windmilling for a Scotch Egg
Windmilling for a Scotch Egg
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:27 am
Posts: 4840
Location: Huddersfield, West Yorkshire
I like this.... but can't help thinking a SID fork is a bit out of place....doesn't look like a race bike! ;-) ...it's looks good but something like a Pike or Revelation or even a Magura fork may have suited the bike better.

It'll bloomin fly downhill, thats for sure!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:42 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:47 am
Posts: 466
Location: belgium
petitpal wrote:
Bram J wrote:
petitpal wrote:
When you look at pics of Elgin's though, and that era, the bars do fit it's heritage quite nicely

True, I just don't like the extra v-bar. But it certainly does not look out of place.
I'm interested in how it will ride too, once the headset is fitted.


I know what you mean - I was a bit unsure at first, but it's grown on me - like it now. Like you say - interested how it will ride now and how it will stand up to a bit of abuse. :)


Abuse is exactly what it needs. :twisted: :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:54 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:25 am
Posts: 696
Rob Atkin wrote:
I like this.... but can't help thinking a SID fork is a bit out of place....doesn't look like a race bike! ;-) ...it's looks good but something like a Pike or Revelation or even a Magura fork may have suited the bike better.

It'll bloomin fly downhill, thats for sure!
I had a choice of forks between a 2011 Fox F-100 or the Sid. I went with the Sid for the axle to crown height. I didn't want the headangle too slack. That plus it keeps the weight down on an already heavy bike. A Pike or any fork over 100mm would make this horrible to ride.

Plus, I got this fork in a trade for an old Tioga Tension disk so it was almost free. The only parts I bought for this bike are the bars and the crank. Everything else was sourced from bikes I bought and parted out.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:45 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:59 pm
Posts: 2252
Location: Bridport Dorset
been following this for a while,good work sir!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:52 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:57 am
Posts: 819
Location: In the thick of it.... Aylesbury
I love it when I find a thread like this and I'm able to read it from the start all the way through the build. Respect for showing us your learning process. I for one really feel inspired now to attempt something similar myself. Need to have a read about brazing techniques.

This is an amazing build I am in awe of your creativity.

One thing that does confuse me is this comment

sandmangts wrote:
I got it mocked up today so I could work out the cable routing. Only then did I realize the brakes were set up as lefty rear and righty front. Gonna chang that for sure


I personally and I also thought most people set up their brakes this way.

right=front brake
left=rear brake.

Have you swapped them around?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:59 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:58 pm
Posts: 2362
Location: Bournemouth
jujupunk wrote:
I love it when I find a thread like this and I'm able to read it from the start all the way through the build. Respect for showing us your learning process. I for one really feel inspired now to attempt something similar myself. Need to have a read about brazing techniques.

This is an amazing build I am in awe of your creativity.

One thing that does confuse me is this comment

sandmangts wrote:
I got it mocked up today so I could work out the cable routing. Only then did I realize the brakes were set up as lefty rear and righty front. Gonna chang that for sure


I personally and I also thought most people set up their brakes this way.

right=front brake
left=rear brake.

Have you swapped them around?


I believe I know the answer to this. In the US, they have it the other way round. I believe this is due to turning left on the road (crossing traffic), you want your hand on the rear brake while signalling. While here in the UK we have this issue when turning right. Like left hand drive cars.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:39 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:57 am
Posts: 819
Location: In the thick of it.... Aylesbury
A fair point, but riding off road I'd much rather my right hand, my strongest hand pulling the brake I'd use the most, being the front.

Must be a yank thing. Hopefully he'll enlighten us 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:01 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:38 pm
Posts: 1421
Location: Keighley
WOW, a proper build that looks amazing. I love what you have done to the frame and how the bike has turned out.

You going to get some better pictures of it?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group