After my last project was completed there were a few things about it that I was not satisfied with. Another forum member mentioned that the cable guides took away from the bike so I decided with my next build I would braze on cable guides. So I found the next victim. Rescued from the scrap yard. A late 30's Elgin.
Lets find out how far I can take it. I have been practicing brazing so this should be fun.
Here are my plans:
1. Sandblast off all that rust.
2. drop some hot brass in around the joints to smooth them out.
3. Flatten and trim the drop stand tab, drill and tap a derailler hanger.
4. Cold set the rear to 135mm spacing, re-align the dropouts.
5. Braze on cable guides/stops for brakes and deraillers.
6. Braze on a disk brake adaptor on the rear.
7. Ream and face the headtube.
8. Powder coat.
9. Custom Brass headtube badge.
The build will consist of mostly parts I already have. Mavic wheels with King ISO hubs, Fox F-80 Talas fork or a Fox f-100 RLC (Depends on how slack it ends up). XT cranks, Sram X.0 rear derailler. Thomson stem. Easton Monkey bar. Hope Mono Mini brakes.
1936 Wards Hawthorne Silver King
1941 Schwinn Excelsior
1993 Brave Cycles Chief
2008 Ellsworth Epiphany