Smart Tart

BoyBurning

Karma King
Bontrager Fan
A while back I promised to share some pics of my Smart Tart as part of the UK Handmade / British Steel thread - but that seems to have dried up a little and possibly even gone stagnant.

Anyway, here are some crap pics for the time being. Everything is in storage so I can't easily get good pics showing whole bikes at present.

Less than 10 of these frames were made, using either Columbus Cromo or Reynolds 531 at buyers preference, all by Dave Yates.

The most common paint [including the 2 race bikes, and the MBi test bike] was metallic purple, with big pouting lips as head badges.

This one is a little different as can be seen.

There are some very nice interesting features on the frames.

Classic fastback rear etc are fairly common handmade fayre, the head tube is something pretty different.

The bikes were designed by Brant Richards [I'd prefer this not to get all bitchy, so if you have details of his private life and ex-girl friends please DON'T bother sharing them here] specifically to fit the 'frame' of smaller female riders.

One of the main aims in achieving this was to get the headtube down as low on the forks as possible so as to reduce front end height.

This was achieved by using a 2" head tube, incorporating machined alloy cups inside to carry a standard 1" aheadset - this was some time before integrated headsets.

Brant has indicated to me that he should really have done just that, using the alloy cups to carry the Cane Creek bearings directly, but that at the time he wanted to maintain compatibility with all headsets to give rider choice.

This one has had new alloy cups inserted to allow the use of the 1.125" Judy FSX forks - but the principle remains the same, and can hopefully be seen in the somewhat crap photos.

Anyway, this is really just to provide pics to some members who were keen to see. I shall do some proper sets of the full bike when circumstances allow.

Cheers,
BB.

Attachments

• 06 - Headtube Spacers [S].jpg
    06 - Headtube Spacers [S].jpg
    49 KB · Views: 1,542
  • 05 - Headtube Overhead [S].jpg
    05 - Headtube Overhead [S].jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 1,542
  • 04 - Headtube RHS [S].jpg
    04 - Headtube RHS [S].jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 1,542
  • 03 - Seat Junction RHS [S].jpg
    03 - Seat Junction RHS [S].jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 1,542
  • 02 - Seat Junction Overhead [S].jpg
    02 - Seat Junction Overhead [S].jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 1,542
  • 01 - Head Badge [S].jpg
    01 - Head Badge [S].jpg
    51 KB · Views: 1,542
very nice only seen pictures before in mags awesome find, did Dave Yates build these frames :roll: also love the integrated headset are they the first made into frames? :cool:

Exceptional Tom, and thanks for sharing...!

I knew you had some hidden Gems, and i gotta be honest, i cant wait to see more..!

When are we going for that ride then..... ;) I can taste the beer from here.!

Love the bike but them Cane Creek S2 headsets what age are they please out of interest was the mid 90s, i was thinking of using one on a 96 frame :roll:

Anymore pics :cool:

les tarts....

Having googled my bikes the other day, which i havent dont for years, when telling my fella about em i stumbled across this forum. So if anyone has one of my bikes, or would like any more info on Smart Tart Cycles, (apart from the Brants ex love life kinda stuff lol), then feel free to get in touch.

I would love to know where the tarts all are. I still have one. And i think i have some brand new tshirts stashed somewhere...so get in touch all you owners and might be able to get one to you......

Debs x

Welcome Debs, that pattering sound you can hear is Sinnerman running round in circles out of sheer excitement.

Carl is an exceptional restorer / builder and the keeper of the unofficial 'all things British and sacred' archive, otherwise known as the British Steel thread (which you have already found).

Enjoy the forum.

I had a friend with one of these BITD around 95/96 I think. Lost contact now so don,t know if she still has it. It was a lovely bike.

My first production bike :)

I guess they don't know about my "team rider" thing either, eh Deb?

Crikey.

Long time ago.

shedfire":3t8jtdsf said:
My first production bike :)

I guess they don't know about my "team rider" thing either, eh Deb?

Crikey.

Long time ago.

I think some do.

But regardless, it would be nice of you to give a little more info, you must have some archive photos etc of those days surely...?

There were some great details on these frames, like the headsets etc.

A lot of people were going to frame builders like Dave Yates for frames (orange being another example)

How did your collaboration come to be....? How was it having a quality frame builder like Dave Yates building frames, say in comparison to what you are doing now with companies in the far east...?

Your Passion and entrepreneurial talent has stood you in good stead it seems..

:cool:

Back