'94 explosif steerer length help please?

eyerideit

Devout Dirtbag
Am I right in thinking I'll need a 210+mm of steerer in I want to get some suspension forks?

The frame measures 19" centre to top and 17" c to c.

I'm hoping it's less than 210 as finally some forks with a steere that length will be a bit of a task.

I've just put some Rockshox Reba's on my 19" 94 Lava dome and managed to fit them with a steerer length of 190mm.
Only just fitted though and I had to use a Crank Bros headset with a very low stack height (23mm).

The Headtube length on a 19" frame is 130mm.
Most 1/18" Ahead stems are 40mm.
Typical Headset is around 30mm.

130 + 40 + 30 = 200

Therefore a steerer length of 200mm should be an easy fit on a 19" Kona frame.

Hope this helps

:cool: :cool: :cool:

What he said, and they are the general numbers to work on to give a bit of leeway ;)
Adjust 'headset stack height', 'stem stack height' and 'spacers stack height if fitted' to suite.

Of course, assuming threadless setup.

As has been said, you'll need at least 70mm more than the length of your head tube. It isn't clear what size your frame is though. You say C-T of 19 which suggests size 19 and 130mm head tube. But the C-C of 17 suggests size 20 and 150mm head tube?

You should find plenty of forks with 200+ if that's what you need, as they'll have been cut for size large frames which are quite plentiful. But 220+ would be a bit more difficult as there are fewer XL frames around.

I could sell you a Z2 with a 213mm steerer if that would suit?

eyerideit":1igfuk58 said:
I'll measure it properly, but can you send a pic of the forks and how much you're after.
Thanks
I've got a few of them actually, dark blue, light green or silver blue. And a 213mm or 208mm steerer and several shorter. All the steerers are alloy and the crown/steerers are bolted to the stanchions, so they're all interchangeable. I could take some photos tomorrow if you're interested, but to give you a rough idea this is what the light green one looked like when it was on this Explosif. The frame colour isn't quite the same as the 94 colour though.

Attachments

• 1996 Explosif size 18 w green Z2 Light.jpg
    1996 Explosif size 18 w green Z2 Light.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 437
Back