'91 GT Avalanche

matt@theforce

Dirt Disciple
Feedback
View
'91 GT Avalanche

I picked this up a couple of days ago after wanting one since I was 13. Apart from the tyres/bar ends its all original.

Frame : 18" GT Triple Triangle, Tange Prestige & MTB Seamless Double Butted Tubing
Fork : GT/Spinner "2x4" With Cold Forge Adjustable Drop Outs
Rims : Ritchey Vantage Comp 26x1.5
Hubs/Skewers : Shimano Deore DX/Shimano Deore XT
Chain : Shimano Deore XT STI
Front/Rear Mech : Shimano Deore DX STI
Shifters : Shimano ST-M092 Deore XT STI Rapid-Fire 7 Speed
Freewheel : Shimano Deore DX Hyperglyde Cassette 12-28t 7 Speed
Handlebar/Stem : GT Duraluminium Superlight Alloy/GT All Terra Flip Flop Stem
Chainset : Shimano Deore DX STI SuperGlide46/36/24t
Bottom Bracket : Hatta Sealed Mech
Headset : Tioga 1 1/8 Oversize Chromolly, Triple Sealed mech with GT Alloy Locknut
Saddle : GT All Terra Competition Leather
Seat Post/Clamp : GT All Terra Heat Treated Alloy/GT Alloy QR Black Anodised Lever
Brakes : Shimano Deore DX SLR Low profile Front Cantilever & Rear U-Brake with Flex-Guard
Brake Levers : Shimano ST-M092 Deore XT 2-Finger with Cam Breaking Action

page07.jpg

20121028_085223.jpg

20121028_084602.jpg

20121028_085005.jpg

20121028_085024.jpg

20121028_084821.jpg

20121028_084703.jpg

20121028_085248.jpg

There is some rust on the Frame, all the components will be removed/stripped/cleaned to get them working 100%.

I need to work out what todo about the rust on the frame, Ideally I think it needs to be stripped and re-painted but I think getting replacement graphics will be a problem.

Matthew

I would try .02 % Oxalic Acid in a kiddie pool for a couple of days before anything else. Will remove the rust and not harm the paint. Do a internet search, lots of information out there.

Loki":114tvw11 said:
I would try .02 % Oxalic Acid in a kiddie pool for a couple of days before anything else. Will remove the rust and not harm the paint. Do a internet search, lots of information out there.

Thanks.. Will do some research

Fantastic bike! I love these wild early nineties paintjobs that GT were using at the time. I've always lusted after the Avalanche, never the Zaskar (No idea as to why) :roll:.

I love how the paint matched stem (such a sucker for paint matching :)) echoes the lines of the top tube - gorgeous stuff!.

Nice bike! I had one of these in the early 90's. Bought it 2nd hand from a neighbour when I was about 14 and raced it for a while. Wish i still had it!!

matt@theforce":2mpsv7d0 said:
Loki":2mpsv7d0 said:

Thanks.. Will do some research

I bought mine off EBAY USA 2lbs for less than $10.00 usd. It only takes a tiny bit for a kiddie pool to get .02%(by weight) you just have to do the math to get the solution correct . Bikeforums.org in the Retro-classic forums has lots of threads on OA. Just neutralize the acid with Sodium Bicarbonate (baking Soda) when finished. BTW , nice bike, my Fav of the steel GT's for paint.

Also try cheap clear vinegar and a rough sponge. Worked wonders on an old saracen I had. Wipe clean afterwards. Will clear most surface rust ok.

Fantastic ideas all.

I'm going to start stripping the bike over the winter & clean it up best I can. Can't wait to get started :)

Matthew

Latest posts

Back