Frame: Saracen "Race Elite" Tange tubing
Fork: Raleigh, 1 1/8 steerer
Headset: No name Halfords
Brakes: Avid 2.0
Brake Cables: Clark
Cantilever cable hangers:
Brake Levers: Shimano "A"
Shifters: as brake levers Shimano "A" sti
Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore LX bottom pull
Rear Derailleur: Deore DX
Derailleur Cables: Clark
Cranks: Shimano lx300
Chainrings: Shimano Biopace 28/38/48
Chainring bolts: Shimano
Bottom Bracket: Saracen
Hub Skewers: Front Shimano Deore XT
Tyres: Schwalbe Land Cruiser
Seatpost Binder: Saracen
So, a little background here. SWMBO bought a bike from Halfords, before i discovered RB, just to get us out with friends for picnic's etc and getting to the pub.
She could only find one that fitted her, a 20" full sus jobby
Now she thinks that the sus saps her energy, twist grip shifters are crap, and the whole thing is to heavy
Here it is in use earlier this year.
So i decided to get a "nice" frame, and swap over all the bits i could, doing it as cheaply as i could when parts were not compatable.
Even though it is an Apollo, it still looks sad stripped down....
So looking here in the for sale brought me to Colin who sold me the Saracen Frame, and another Colin, who sold me some sti's.
I quickly mocked up the frame, and found the first problem....
Not much steerer at the top
Much posting in MTB chat got me several results. From we_are_stevo can the idea of a steerer tube extension, and from several other people, the offer of Karma forks.
This really touched me, people i have never met offering to give me parts to make my project work.......thanks guys...this is why retrobike is sooo good.
There were other problems, for which i am greatful of the help from other fellow RBers. The seatpost diameter was different, and the front mech was bottom pull on the Saracen, and TP on the Apollo. Ebay sorted those quickly.
After a quick measuring session an order to Wiggle and one to CRC brought me a steerer extender (£11.99), and a new Ritchy stem (£6.39) ( the old one was cr*p, to high a stack height, and would have been much higher off the ground)
The stem came first, so i mocked up the bars...
Today i just put all the rest of the bike together, and now only need to adjust the front and rear mech's, the tidy the cables, and set the chain length
The idea was to do this on a cheap budget. Frame £46 inc p&p, STI's £7 inc p&p, Steerer extender £11.99 inc p&p, Stem £6.39 inc p&p, Front mech £8.99, Seatpost shim £8.95,Cables and headset protector £13. I am quite pleased with the result.
All thoughts welcomed....