1991 Haro Extreme -- Restore Advice?

RFC

Dirt Disciple
Hi All,

Recently, I picked up this 1991 Haro Extreme -- literally, out of a neighborhood curbside junk pile -- I feel so dirty. I originally grabbed it for good Old School components, but then realized that this is a very interesting frame.

And, it had a patina I actually liked. It had been stored outside for a long time. As a result, the paint is about 7 different shades of fade, oxidization, and shine. But, the paint is in solid shape with few gouges for an old MTB. Kind of like an old Jeep or fire truck. And, I kind of liked the ghost decals.

So, I decided that I can always send it off to be powder coated (probably orange and it would look marvelous), why not try this as an experiment first. That is, work around the patina and see if I can achieve a more restored look.

Here is the stock original.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=90483

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=767981

First, serious cleanup to remove dirt and grease.

Second, the use of various polishes and applicators (cotton to Scotchguard) to blend patina, sometimes too far -- white.

Third, effort to use combinations of Testors to cover scratches and chips. First combination is below. Ultimately, best method was straight Testors red from thick to wash.

Fourth, brush applied clearcoat. I have used this method before on my Look KG96 with great results. I have applied one coat to the Haro. Obviously, more is needed. And, there are a few rough spots.

First Question:

-- How many clearcoats should I apply?
-- Should I sand between coats?
-- How should I sand?

Second Question:

I think this is a totally cool frame.

-- How should I build it up?
-- Total stock? I have everything except the stem.
-- Gravel Grinder with drop bars? It would be assume.

IMG_0052.jpg

photo-1.jpg

Very Cool frame :cool: and a great find :D

I would just lightly sand the rough areas then re-coat ;)

To start with I would just source a stem and put the stock build back give it a few rides then decide ;)

I have just bought the aluminium version of this off the forum :cool: :cool: :D

Latest posts

Back