91' Marin Eldridge & PineMountain..a brace of Zolatones

sherlylock

rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Just to continue with my Marin/Zolatone addiction here are the latest project frames that I'm working on.

Eldridge - a frame I picked up on here from Whayne (via Brocklanders I believe?) which is is a bit of a state. The original Zolatone has been oversprayed with Turquoise. I started to strip it to reveal the underlying grey - which I've discovered is incomplete anyway. So this frame is destined for complete paint stripping and a homebrew zolatone-esque repaint.

Pine Mountain - I watched this sit in the fs section for a while and the catalyst for me sending the PM to littlemarkie & buying was my friend who recently acquired exactly the same model. There's something really cool about the grey/orange contrast on these bikes....which I love. The frame is in reasonable shape.....it's no minter by any stretch but the rust is fairly minimal, the majority of which I've had a go at cleaning up (tried the vinegar and tin foil trick!). I've had a set of fresh homebrew decals laser cut and applied which freshens the frame up a treat. Forks are resprayed from bare metal (from the Eldridge) in Halfords Orange and the headset/stem/bars came from Drewson to complete the frameset (cheers Drew!). Just need to repaint these and start building.

Apologies for nicking the original fs images...I didn't take any before starting work on the frames..... :)

Attachments

• eldridge & pine mountain.jpg
    eldridge & pine mountain.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 3,226
  • dsc00255_233.jpg
    dsc00255_233.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 3,226
  • imag0303_915.jpg
    imag0303_915.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 3,226
A few more shots of the PineM....

Attachments

• racebred.jpg
    racebred.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 3,203
  • pineM logo.jpg
    pineM logo.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 3,202
  • pineM headtube.jpg
    pineM headtube.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 3,204
  • pineM.jpg
    pineM.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 3,203
Good effort with the PM so far. Look forward to see what you do with it.
I just picked up a 91 Team Marin to add to my fleet!

Already looking nice bud and can't wait to see it come together.

Watching with interest and hoping you can't find time to do the Eldridge and sell it to me lol ;)

Rich :D

Finished the paintwork on the forks/stem/bars and added the Marin logo to the stem. Wheels are Araya TM18s with Marin Lite tyres - but are temporary until I get hold of some RM17s/Amberwalls.....Also bought a couple of short cage Deore rear mechs - will be fitted once I've cleaned one up.

Need to look into anodising too - I've got a few seatposts that need to be black! :)

Attachments

• pineM bars.jpg
    pineM bars.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 2,946
  • pineM.jpg
    pineM.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 2,946
That's a proper mountain bike. :cool: Look forward to seeing it finished. The zolatone paint jobs were never my thing back in the day - for some reason I always thought they made the bikes "look" heavy. But 20 years on and I quite fancy one...

Rich34":34lwxt2v said:
That's a proper mountain bike. :cool: Look forward to seeing it finished. The zolatone paint jobs were never my thing back in the day - for some reason I always thought they made the bikes "look" heavy. But 20 years on and I quite fancy one...

Me too. I can remember seeing '91/'92 Marins (grey/black/neon type colour schemes) back when I was a teenager riding around on my '93 Bear Valley thinking how much I preferred mine over the earlier models. Def. not the case now........funny how time changes your perception.... :)

Latest posts

Back