Bought this on eBay a while back. It was advertised as a '95 Kilauea but a late edit by the seller confirmed it was actually an earlier frame. Unfortunately, I was away when the edit went up so I didn't have an opportunity to retract my bid and I ended up paying more than I would have wanted to/needed to. But, no matter, it is hopefully a decent base for a good pub bike so that I can keep my owned-from-new '96 Kilauea in the near mint condition that I have managed to preserve it in so far.
Anyway, the frame serial number indicates a 1992 build date but I need some help working out what it actually is. At some stage it has been repainted (seller said it was done by Argos in around 2004) and some '96 decals applied. Someone has taken care to get the correct mix of 'square' (down tube) and 'jungle' (top tube) fonts to make it look like a '96 Kilauea frame but it clearly isn't.
I hope the attached pictures will enable Anthony and the other experts on here to work out what vintage and model it actually is. Here's what I know:
- measures 18 3/16" from centre of BB shell to top of seat tube but an exact 19" from bottom
of BB shell to top of seat tube (this measurement method itself pins it down to a certain period doesn't it?)
- bare frame without new headset weighs 5lbs
- according to the seller the original colour was blue, but a bit lighter than the respray colour
- triangle holes in rear drop outs
- flared section at bottom of seat tube
- top tube and down tube both seem slightly narrower in the middle section
- no elongated 'dimples' on inners of seat stays
- top tube boss for rear brake cable (but quite possibly added when it was repainted to take V-brakes?)
The eBay auction was briefly discussed here before
(www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php ... na+kilauea
) when Anthony correctly noted that it wasn't a 1995 Kilauea.
Any help working out what it actually is will be most appreciated!