Today's bike find - 1991 Bridgestone MB-1

benbonty

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I don't know much about these, but this one was too cheap to turn down and fairly local too. It's a 18" 1991 Bridgestone MB-1. Its fairly original apart from the canti's, pedals, bar ends and the wheels/tyres. its also been fitted with a blackburn mountain rack which i quite like! The chap I picked it up from told me he had jet washed it an hour before I picked it up and washed half of the decals off! It's a lugged Ritchey logic tubed frame and is fitted with ritchey logic bars, seat post, stem, headset, chainset and forks, the mechs and shifters are Suntour xc pro. I've got some Ritchey Vantage rimmed wheels and Ritchey Duro tyres that I'll put on, along with a Ritchey Logic Comp saddle and get rid of the bar ends and horrendous saddle!

If anyone knows anything abou these, I'd happy to hear it! I may have it refinished if it fits as the paint is pretty shabby and decals not great. I'm not sure what the canti's should be, possible dia compe 986?

legrandefromage":jkesggm5 said:
that is what is known as a high quality bicycle.

I'm quite impressed with it, certainly seems good quality! It's really quite light too. I've pulled the replacement wheels off along with the bar ends, saddle and bottle cage and fitted some Ritchey Logic Comp on XT M730 shod with Ritchey Duro Force tyres. It looks much better! Ordered some replacement Ritchey True Grips from CRC too! I'll put some pics up of the results of my labour when the sun comes up!

raymondluxuryyacht":27xve9t6 said:
Look forward to some more pics! Slightly confused as to what the brakes are - front looks sort of 92 spec suntour-ish but can't see clearly from pics. Could be also be dia-comp with missing logos. Mechs look to be suntour comp or pro?

The brakes that are on there now are a very cheap no name replacement set fitted by the chap I bought it from. They have to go, I'll get rid as soon as I find out what should be on there! Perhaps a set if Ritchey Logic canti's would suit considering that almost every other component on the bike is Ritchey! The mechs and shifters are indeed Suntour XC Pro.

Thanks mate, that's very nice, especially the fork! I did wonder about 987 but found a couple of pictures of the 92 model with 986 so I guess either will do! Like the logic brake levers too! Not supposed to be spending money on this one though!! Thanks for your help with this mate!

passiflora":4gvrkiwx said:
What a great great find.

love the logic with suntour, not seen the 2 mixed before :)

Thanks mate, Tom Ritchey did well out of Bridgestone on this model, supplying the frame tubes, forks, headset, stem, bars, grips, seat post and chainset!! I've added a Ritchey saddle, rims and tyres, and will possibly add Ritchey brake levers and canti's! I think that's a full house!

Back