1997 Schwinn homegrown Factory full suspension xt

onza100

Retrobike Rider
PoTY Winner
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
So I'd been looking for one of these frames for years. I used to have a carbon one I ordered from the usa whilst at uni with my student loan :LOL:
You don't really see these in the uk so the search started on ebay Usa.

Thanks to a mate from http://bonustomato.com/ who offered to buy and strip a bike so he could post me a frame from the states. I finally have one. :LOL:

this was the bike.

HGF.jpg

And the frame before shipping

HG_11.jpg

These are some of the bits I've collected for it,
T2eC16ZyUE9s6NGwBQ2i9hbtg60_12.jpg

T2eC16NHJHgE9n0yEipFBQQO-hUGw60_12.jpg

T2eC16hHJHgE9n0yHGWcBQMW6wdig60_12.jpg

T2eC16dHJGE9nm3rIHvBQRSUdDQY60_12.jpg

So what better to do whilst feeding your 4 week old baby during the night? Do a mock up build!

rb008.jpg

rb007.jpg

Ive gone for mostly m950 xtr parts with raceface next lp cranks.
Part that haven't arrived yet are crossmax wheels and 97 judy sl's with air carts.
I'm also considering a different stem and bar.

So after the mock up build I did the other night on the sweet spot I decided I needed to strip it back down and clean everything. Wet flatted the back end down ready to polish. This is it before

12thoct12010.jpg

12thoct12011.jpg

And after sanding with 180, 320, 600, 1200, 2000 and a scotch pad for the welds.
Should be mirror polished tomorrow

12thoct12015.jpg

OMG I bought one of these off Ebay 9 months ago and thought I'd found something quite rare (for these shores anyway)
and its sitting in the garage for when funds become available and I've finished my primary build.

I wasn't in the market place for another frame but I just like the look of it and the rest is history, Mines a 97 version with disc mounts which I think is rare

Will keep in touch and defo be watching this build with interest

Attachments

• my Future Project.jpg
    my Future Project.jpg
    332.8 KB · Views: 4,331
Thats lovely. Looks like a 21"
The front is '97 colours but the rear may be newer as none of the 97's had disc mounts as far as I know. You can tell from the rear dropout frame number. Should start with the year.
Oh and more photos please :LOL:

That's looking nice. :cool:

Black Control tech bars n' stem then?

al. ;)

onza100":3sjxb63y said:
Thats lovely. Looks like a 21"
The front is '97 colours but the rear may be newer as none of the 97's had disc mounts as far as I know. You can tell from the rear dropout frame number. Should start with the year.
Oh and more photos please :LOL:

Having searched this site for info in the past I drew a blank on FS Homegrown, found alot of crap out there on other sites about Yeti building them that upset a lot of people due to its in accuracy.

I gather from your collection that you've a soft spot for Schwinn

Would love to share a few more pictures of mine but didn't want to highjack your thread,

al":1zv24wct said:
That's looking nice. :cool:

Black Control tech bars n' stem then?

al. ;)

Thanks. I'd like a black control tech stem if I could find one that was 100-110mm.
I must say I'm tempted to put my azonic riser bar on it, I like the width and feel.

Retro Spud":1g20pibz said:
Having searched this site for info in the past I drew a blank on FS Homegrown, found alot of crap out there on other sites about Yeti building them that upset a lot of people due to its in accuracy.

I gather from your collection that you've a soft spot for Schwinn

Would love to share a few more pictures of mine but didn't want to highjack your thread,

Carry on it would be nice to see them.
I haven't got a bass boat blue frame like yours (yet :LOL: ) and love the colour.
If you didn't know it was made by control tech.

I do seem to be collecting them, the bigest problem is finding frames only as the shipping from the states is lots for a whole bike.
Just bought this one

KGrHqZooE1uZk7H0BQ6cvbNuw60_57.jpg

Since you asked

Here's a few more of mine, which I think is a Homegrown Factory TEAM Bassboat FS, but I'm sure someone will Flame my ignorance

And yes its a 21' you've a good eye

Attachments

• Rear end.jpg
    Rear end.jpg
    371.9 KB · Views: 4,188
  • drop outs.jpg
    drop outs.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 4,186
  • Close up of Paint.jpg
    Close up of Paint.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 4,187
  • sweat spot.jpg
    sweat spot.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 4,188
  • 582469013_o.jpg
    582469013_o.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 4,188
Thats lovely. It will be this one from 1997

26th006.jpg

Although the rear end is a 1998 one with a disc mount so you are lucky with that.

Back