Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:22 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:21 am 
Windmilling for a Scotch Egg

drystonepaul wrote:
I have skinwall Twin Rails on my 2005 Trailstar2. They do look great and give pretty good grip on loose stuff if you run the pressures at about 35psi or so.
Pump them up harder and they are very fast tyres.

They are a bit scary if you encounter any mud though.

Bike's looking good though.

It'll be the bike for the first RB series ride this year!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:46 pm 
Retro Guru

really looking forward to seeing this take shape :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:53 pm 
Retro Guru

really looking forward to seeing this take shape :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:12 am 

Last night I spent an hour or two tidying the frame up. I've filed a couple of the welds smooth and rounded the dropouts a bit to make them look better. I have also converted one of the top tube cable guides to full outer so I can install maguras - v-brakes would obviously work well too with this set up.

For some odd reason the cable guide for the front mech was all mangled - how on earth that happened I have no idea. Anyway a bit of bending and filing has got it back in shape.

I also removed the FSA Pig headset cup that was left in the frame. It was a NIGHTMARE to remove. I hope the new identical headset I have to replace it isn't as difficult to install, I really do.

I have been in a quandary about the colour. I was set to paint it light blue but I now really want to paint it one of the original colours, and even though I'm not a fan of white bikes I am sorely tempted to have it coated white again. I have a feeling a lot of people go through this when trying to decide on a colour.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:59 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

I struggled a bit getting new FSA cups in mine recently, doenst help I'm using one of the cheapo Heath Robinson Headset installers off eBay but I figured with an old used bike it would be easier but no. in the end I heated up the HT with a hair dryer, and cooled the HS in the freezer briefly and sanded and cleaned inside the HT lightly while taking time to enjoy a chill pill and a cuppa! More struggles with the contaption and it's in, hope I don't have to take it out!

Colour, yes, being custom at heart, I'm a sucker for going with original colour anyway! White does look ace fresh specially if a quality powdercoat. I prefer white to my dark blue, but even blue looks quite good built. Nice to go with an original colour, though saying that, with stickers on a new colour could be custom and factoryish.

Are you keeping all the cable guides n stuff then? bloody loads of the damn things!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:36 am 

reanimation wrote:
I struggled a bit getting new FSA cups in mine recently, doenst help I'm using one of the cheapo Heath Robinson Headset installers off eBay but I figured with an old used bike it would be easier but no. in the end I heated up the HT with a hair dryer, and cooled the HS in the freezer briefly and sanded and cleaned inside the HT lightly while taking time to enjoy a chill pill and a cuppa! More struggles with the contaption and it's in, hope I don't have to take it out!

My worry is damaging new paint.......... patience is the key and I'll keep your tips in mind.

Quote:
Colour, yes, being custom at heart, I'm a sucker for going with original colour anyway! White does look ace fresh specially if a quality powdercoat. I prefer white to my dark blue, but even blue looks quite good built. Nice to go with an original colour, though saying that, with stickers on a new colour could be custom and factoryish.

Yes I think any well chosen colour will look good, I was also thinking of a greyey/blue colour too.

Quote:
Are you keeping all the cable guides n stuff then? bloody loads of the damn things!

Yes, as they will all be used! Front and rear mechs and full brake set.
:D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:17 pm 
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner

Colour....?
Custom

Headset....?
If you are worried about the paint, hows about pressing the cups in but leaving say 5-10mm, and masking the cups completely while painted/powdercoated.... then press them in fully

G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:38 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Ah that makes sense. Great, look forward to seeing it done, should be a nice contrast to my SS (2 hydro brakes).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:55 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

Hows this one progessing.....?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:22 pm 

sinnerman wrote:
Hows this one progessing.....?

Read the posts above , that's the latest news. Hopefully off to the sprayers next week. :-)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next