DMR Trailstar - from zero to hero....

MiniNinjaRob

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Ok, so the Dave Lloyd is off to pastures new..... I was wondering what to build up next and my eyes are drawn to the rather sad looking DMR Trailstar I have in my cellar.

24b5eda7.jpg

I was wanting to build something a little more jumpy/tough for the sort of riding that I like to do and I think this fits the bill.

I kinda like this bike as it's a total lost cause. Even in mint condition it's not going to be worth much. The dropouts are a bit mangled, the paint is shot, the BB is the BMX style one etc etc. So spending lots of money on a top quality respray, fixing the dropouts and making it look minty all over again seems like the most sensible thing to do by far!! :)

Anyway, does anyone know when these first came out? This is a really early one as it doesn't have the adjustable brake mounts.

Big news!

Thanks so much to Joel at Upgrade Bikes. He managed to find me some original period decals to go on the bike.

And when they arrived - a free hat! That's what I call great service. Thanks very much Joel and DMR!

null_zpse5a923b8.jpg

Also another package came today - DMR chain cage for the front chainring. Always nice to get something off eBay and it arrive in great nick.

null_zpsda368072.jpg

So I need to repair the rear dropouts, get the DMR Wonder Cups out of the frame and get the chain tugs with the mech hanger. Then the frame will be ready for paint.

Parts I need:
80/100mm Marzocchi period forks.
25.8mm seatpost.
Seat clamp
32t front compact chainring - DMR Saturn.
Compact chainset
And maybe other bits too...

We_are_Stevo":1sztax0x said:
Can we start a book on how long it takes you to move this one on once you get it finished? ;)

I'll have a fiver on two weeks :p

Got a nice period Azonic stem to go on it. I have absolutely no idea where this stem came from!

null_zpsf9278a2b.jpg

This is the problem with the dropouts. Chewed up a bit - ok I could run the wheel further forward but the tyres might not clear the frame.
My idea is to get someone to build the metal back up with some weld and file/grind it back smoothly, then repaint.

null_zps239d85d3.jpg

null_zps2c8f288f.jpg

Back