NOS Merlin 1989

merlinfred

Dirt Disciple
Hi all
I just registered on this forum because I made a very nice catch on our national (Sweden) MTB forum. I have been riding MTB since 1990. (20 years old)
I started on a bright green Scott PRO Racing followed by a -92 Yeti ARC, and then a -94 Merlin. I stopped using my Merlin for what it is intended in 2008, when I started to ride more recent bikes. The 94 Merlin is still in a fantastic condition and I use it every day all year for the commute to work. So when I found a complete and unused Merlin from 1989, serial no 1083. I just had to buy it. Luckily I was the first to call and the bike was mine. This bike is then older than my MTB history but most of the parts were still around when I turned to a MTB fanatic. The build is actually quite similar to what I assembled in -94. It is still a mystery to me why this bike never saw the trails. Well the guy who sold it to me used to work in the bike store of witch owner once ordered this bike for himself. I got the name on this guy and found him on the internet, there is a phone number so I will call him any day soon to ask him...
Anyhow, this first owner made some things to the bike and parts. First he stripped it from all decals and then polished the brake levers and tumbies. Luckily he stopped when he came to the rear brake and the project stalled and was put in the attic.
In the box with all the components was a Merlin branded envelope with two sets of original decals. These decals are identical to the decals on my -94 Merlin, including "Design by Rob Wandermark". I suspect that this frame was designed by Tom Kellog and should have black decals.
Does anyone know?

Best Regards
fred

wow

Wow. Dude, forget about lottery tickets. You've used up a lifetime's supply of luck getting your hands on that bike. Congratulations! (An extra Bullseye hub!?! My God.)

Absolutely stunning. Really clean looking mate! I have a similar one which I have yet to post photos of as I have not completed the project. But I'll do so once it's up!

Back