Kona Ku - KU015

Chapeau! Velo

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I bought this frame from another RB member approx 2 years ago and have been meaning to post a thread on it's refurbishment and re-build for a while.

Some of you Kona fans may remember KU015 when it was in it's original dark metallic blue; sadly the paint was in a very poor state when I got it and although I wouldn't normally re-paint such a rare frame there really wasn't much option in this case. However, to do the frame justice it deserved the Argos treatment and some new period correct decals kindly provided by Gil. Sadly he didn't have the artwork for the 'Kona Custom' decal that lives on the rear of the top tube so I'm still looking out for one (or two) to add!

This build is very much an evolution and it's currect state reflects the '1st cut' It also reflects my wife's tastes (as it's her bike) and her preferred mix of equipment (although aside from the grips I hope they are not too offensive!) Pictures are at the link below. I intend to add to them with some better quality pictures as these don't really do the colour justice:

http://sdrv.ms/QVHmCP

Build spec as follows:

Frame: 16" Kona Ku (KU015) refurbished in Viola Chiaro.

Fork: Pace RC30 with colour matched legs.

Headset: Crank Bros Cobolt
Stem: Easton EA50 (looking for a 90mm silver Thomson Elite).
Handlebar: Kona Racelight (Easton)
Grips: ODI Yeti (sorry!)

Brakes: Paul Motolite
Brake Pads: Coolstop
Brake Cables: Nokon
Brake Levers: Paul Love Levers

Shifters: XTR 9sp (a bit modern I know)
Front Derailleur: Saches
Rear Derailleur: Dura Ace 7700
Derailleur Cables: Nokon
Cassette: Ultegra
Chain: KMC (it's dirty gold not rusty!)
Cranks: Middleburn RS7
Crank Bolts: Royce Ti
Chainrings: Middleburn
Chainring bolts: Middleburn
Bottom Bracket: Race Face Ti
Pedals: DMR V8

Hub Skewers: Hope
Rims: Mavic 217
Hubs: XT Parralax
Tyres: Ritchey Speedmax 2.0
Tubes: Continental

Saddle: Charge Ladle
Seatpost: Ringle Moby
Seatpost Binder: Kona

Mrs LDP uses it regularly and loves it to bits so I make no apology for it not being faithfully period correct. However, comments and criticism welcome on how it can be improved (apart from the obvious addition of a silver King headset (I noticed a crack in the lower race in the one I originally intended for it :shock:!))

Looks great, it was if anything even more garish for a long time anyway!

DSC00664.JPG

Love that mate. The colour matched RC30's are a great touch :cool:

Rod_Saetan":16nwccpi said:
Looks great, it was if anything even more garish for a long time anyway!

DSC00664.JPG

Ah, there it is in a previous guise; I really liked the blue but Mrs LDP had different ideas (I should have known better than to give her a choice! ;))

Back