Old Orange P7

Kell

Retro Guru
Hi all,

First post, so please be gentle.

I currently have an early P7 taking up space in the back of the shed. I've not ridden it for years (it got replaced with an 2000 P7 - which then got replaced with a commuting steed of a Dahon Matrix).

I'm toying up the idea of turning it into something I could use for longish (20-30m) road rides - or selling it and buying a cheap road bike.

If I went for the second option, I'd be interested to know if the bike itself is worth anything. I think it has period (if not exactly original) XTR mechs, twist shifters and big gearing.

I saw in another thread that some of the more talented among you can work out year of manufacture from the code - which is odd, as I remember ringing Orange a few years back to get info from them only to be told they didn't keep records of early bikes.

It has the nickel plating, which is in fair condition. My worry though is the cost involved in this as while I can do basic mechanics, things like headsets and bottom brackets have thus far alluded me.

So any idea of worth of bike?
And idea how much it 'could' cost to restore it?
How much could it cost to rebuild it less sympathetically? i.e. non-period mechs etc?

Many thanks in advance.

Kell.

PS - promise to get some shots.

Welcome aboard buddy

get those photo's posted, and your not wrong about the depth of knowledge on this site

someone will be able to tell you what year its from

There should be a serial number on the bottom of the bracket shell which will probably start with a letter followed by 9 numbers. I believe the letter tells you which factory it was made in and the first three numbers when it was made, year then month e.g. A602123456 would have been made in February 1996, 6 for 1996 and 02 for February.

For a valuation you should post here. Pics would help.

Thanks for the welcome.

I'm currently in High Wycombe, but grew up in Northumberland. So the bike in question spent its youth round Cheviot and did a few rides in Kielder and Kidland.

I'll try and get the frame number and stuff tonight, maybe take some iPhone shots, and try and get better pics at the weekend.

FWIW, I always wanted this bike to be a project, but have never found the time to do it before.

OK. Frame # is A4032609.

Looks like I can't add pics direct from my phone so I'll add some tomorrow.

Here is where you should be able to find a best guestimate

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... start=3780

as to the year, the frame is march 1994 so the bike would have been built 1994/95 someone will be able to confirm this if you can put some pictures up

if you are uncomfortable with bb's and headsets then your local bike shop or a good halfords will be able to do this for you ....halfords does a service plan I think for about 20 quid were they do the work but only charge you for the parts?

The nickel frames by now will have some light pitting if looked after but if you use the site search you will see a few have cleaned these up a treat

kit wise..they came with different levels of kit so you should be able to find some for your budget

OK here are some pics I took last night in the shed.

Attachments

• IMG_4184.jpg
    IMG_4184.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 1,232
  • IMG_4185.jpg
    IMG_4185.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 1,232
  • IMG_4186.jpg
    IMG_4186.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 1,232
  • IMG_4187.jpg
    IMG_4187.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 1,232
  • IMG_4189.jpg
    IMG_4189.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 1,232
  • IMG_4190.jpg
    IMG_4190.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 1,232
  • IMG_4191.jpg
    IMG_4191.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 1,232
This is cool.
This may (I stress may) only need a good clean and lube, and cables plus chain replacing. Looks like the frame is in pretty good nick. Cleaning dérailleurs and brakes (remove if needed to do a good job) plus sorting the cables will go a long way to seeing this working again. Think I can see a grease guard headset there, so new injection of grease may be all thats needed there. I'd remove the chainset and do a real good job on that before seeing if the teeth on the rings are too worn or not. Think I'd probably get the bottom bracket removed and maybe replaced to be sure its not stuck and a hidden problem for the future.
What are the wheels like ?

Back