1997 GT Zaskar modern makeover FINISHED FINALLY

tonedeaf101

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi all. Another Zaskar rebuild coming up for you to enjoy, hopefully!!

My aim is to create my own unique ride, using new parts and near mint older parts. Sort of a retro/new bike. I have many ideas partly gained from looking at others incarnations of this classic. Hopefully mine will look subtly different. But it is difficult to not copy others that look so good. Sorry to pinch your ideas if I do.

The donor frame was a 97, with some scratches and one small dent, but on the whole a tidy example. I bought it as a whole bike and came fitted with a lot of XTR M950 components but I wanted to replace most as they didn’t fit in with my plans.

I will be reusing the Mavic X618 on XTR M950 hubs, XTR M960 Front mech and Kore Seat post. Everything else will be changed.
Have a set of Pace RC36 Evo forks (returned as they had been physically altered dimensionally by previous owner, dumbass!!) already to fit and also just bought a very tidy 2011 Raceface Evolve XC Crank and chain ring set that will be tweaked slightly. More on that when complete.

Pictures of bike as received when I got it home and few days later after strip and sticker removal. Sorry to rape your bike Tony ;-(
Frame is now being readied for a dam good polishing. Almost finished an initial light rub over of the worst marks with 400 paper. Full 600 and 1200 on the weekend and maybe first polish if I have time.

More pics and gossip to come soon.

Attachments

• IMG_0507.JPG
    IMG_0507.JPG
    222.9 KB · Views: 3,478
  • IMG_0506.JPG
    IMG_0506.JPG
    276 KB · Views: 3,478
  • IMG_0504.JPG
    IMG_0504.JPG
    202.3 KB · Views: 3,478
Will be following this one closely.

If you sell all that XTR you will pay for a modernisation!

Saw someone else on here who put Pace forks on a zaskar and they looked ace.

Not selling all of it. Keeping some and replacing others with later XTR and SRAM etc. I know it will cost a bit, but it's not a huge amount.
It's all an early 40th treat to myself anyway, so who gives a monkeys :cool:

Yeah the Pace CF legs look lovely I reckon. I know the older forks by todays standards are pretty tame. But for what I intend to use the bike for, will be more than upto the job. And they help keep the overall weight down.

Weighed the frame last night out of interest. 4lb! Anyone know what a modern hardtail weighs these days?

Decent modern frames about the same. I did read that the MOngoose Tyax, not exactly a boutique frame, a £800 bike as well, has a 4lb frame. Think the Boarman frames weight about the same.

Posted a few days back looking out for a hub dust cap as mine had a hole init. No responces so thought of a way to repair it. Hopefully I can get a replacement one day, but this will last well I think.

Basically neatly cut a piece of rubber to size and stuck it down, then stuck an O ring on the face. I had to sand it internally slightly so it allowed spindle to spin freely. Also sanded down th ejoin to make it less noticeable. Wasnt sure how else to save the day but seems to have been succesful :idea:

Attachments

• IMG_0585.JPG
    IMG_0585.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 3,325
  • IMG_0584.JPG
    IMG_0584.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 3,325
  • IMG_0505.JPG
    IMG_0505.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 3,325
So been a busy boy this weekend. Last week frame was all drab after the wet 'n' dry and wire wool treatment. Then this weekend went crazy with the Peek!
I have left the deeper marks as don't want to go thinning the tube down too much plus it looks kinda cool I think, bit of battle damage.

Still undecided about decals, despite being a 97, I really like the 92 versions with a slight colour change to suit the scheme I'm going for. If any decals at all? Decisions!!

Enjoy

Attachments

• IMG_0672.JPG
    IMG_0672.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 3,141
  • IMG_0677.JPG
    IMG_0677.JPG
    227.5 KB · Views: 3,141
  • 024.JPG
    024.JPG
    166.3 KB · Views: 3,141
  • 023.JPG
    023.JPG
    155.9 KB · Views: 3,141
  • 021.JPG
    021.JPG
    137.7 KB · Views: 3,141
  • 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    180.7 KB · Views: 3,141
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    177.7 KB · Views: 3,141
  • 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    160.3 KB · Views: 3,141
Nice job, very impressed! If you get chance for a quick 'how to' and what products (not heard of peek?) I'm sure it would be appreciated ;)

Latest posts

Back