Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:57 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:07 am 
Retro Guru

....and I think these are the cranks:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/White-Industrie ... 25756b7e96

Post subject: marine
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:26 am 

That's really a goog buy.Looking at those LX brake level,i thought they were brand new.
I used to own a set like those n afte years of use,they start to have pitted marks on the level itself n the black paint start peeling. Yours had been in storage n the previous owner did not even ride much, but it looks like "" Brand New "" condition.
Great find my friend.
:D :P :twisted: :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:11 am 
Old School Hero

mkaavin wrote:

Thanks for the help,
Are these the cranks i need? ,these ones below are in the uk and would my rings fit ?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300786580299? ... 1423.l2649

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:47 am 
Old School Hero

mrpedigree wrote:
mkaavin wrote:

Thanks for the help,
Are these the cranks i need? ,these ones below are in the uk and would my rings fit ?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300786580299? ... 1423.l2649

I dont know whether i will bother changing the the LX levers/Lx Shifters as the one on it are like new ,i would change the crank tho if the one above is the right one ! tho ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:33 pm 
Retro Guru

I hope your dog is better behaved than mine , as riding with him is Russian Roulette as to when My front wheel gets taken out and I hit the deck. Nice bike!. Not that special that I would not ride it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:19 pm 
Old School Hero

Loki wrote:
Nice bike!. Not that special that I would not ride it.
A top spec marin near 18 years old bike that near new cond thats never really been ridden ? i think thats a little special.. dont you ? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:32 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

Little bit, they are are nice bikes, but don't worry about being too precious with it, they are pretty tough. (And relatively common, albeit not necessararly in this condition. If you want to treasure it, it would be worth tracking down the equally good condition parts that would of been original to it. I don't see much point in treasuring it as being original condition if it isn't original spec.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:19 pm 
Old School Hero

JeRkY wrote:
Little bit, they are are nice bikes, but don't worry about being too precious with it, they are pretty tough. (And relatively common, albeit not necessararly in this condition. If you want to treasure it, it would be worth tracking down the equally good condition parts that would of been original to it. I don't see much point in treasuring it as being original condition if it isn't original spec.
From what i can gather the only original spec bits thats different are the break levers/sifters ,and as the LX ones on it are like new should i really bother ? could i find XT ones in as good condition as those LX ones ?
I have always had Marins when i was younger ,so finding one from back in my hay day,as mint as this ,In a large sized frame for my large sized frame,probably means more to me than most people care to understand :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:14 pm 
Retro Guru

mrpedigree wrote:
Loki wrote:
A top spec marin near 18 years old bike that near new cond thats never really been ridden ? i think thats a little special.. dont you ? :D
Not particularly, really just a nice production bike , certainly not to nice or rare to not ride. That's my criteria , I buy bikes to ride, not hang on the wall. If you didn't want opinions why start a thread asking for them ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:26 pm 
Old School Hero

Loki wrote:
mrpedigree wrote:
Loki wrote:
Not particularly, If you didn't want opinions why start a thread asking for them ?
Easy mate,no need to get your pretty little knickers in a twist, when did i say didn't want opinions ?
I was just was pointing out that anything that was 17 yrs old,was in close to the condition when it was new and was top of the line at the time got to be a little bit special....but obviously you must see them like this every day so its not that special to u i suppose :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next