My 1995 Team Marin,to good to ride ?

mrpedigree

Retro Guru
Just thought i would post some pics of the team Marin i bought the other night ,as you can see its seems to be in near new perfect condition having been stuck in a guys loft for 13 years ,i bought it off of a guy that a teacher, He said in first couple of years he had only rode it the odd few times to the shops, i can believe it because from what i can see there dont seem to be a mark on it ,the only puzzling thing with it is that this one has LX break levers/ LX gear trigger shifters rather than XT :?
When i pointed out that this bike should have XT Levers and shifters and asked what had happened to them,he said that's what it was supposed to have and that's how it came when he bought it in Bristol :eek:
In the end we agreed that it should have XT and he said it was probably the shop that duped him cause he new very little about bikes etc
I got the bike a bit cheaper because of this and will be looking for the correct levers and gear changers ,anyone know what i should be looking for or should i just leave the LX on it ?
Any help would be appreciated guys .

Thanks garry
033.jpg

021.jpg

023.jpg

037.jpg

020-5.jpg

marin did that in 94 , gave you lx xt mix , for 8 speed gearing with 7 speed prices

not sure it went into 95 though ?

Absolute brand new looking!
Great bike, looks awesome but I am of the 'bikes should be ridden' camp and think it would be a shame to keep as a garage queen. Just my opinion though.

:D

SLIM":1hbgzl8v said:
marin did that in 94 , gave you lx xt mix , for 8 speed gearing with 7 speed prices

not sure it went into 95 though ?
SLIM":1hbgzl8v said:
just checked , should be xt rapidfire plus

only lx was rear hub
So was the owner right ,did it come from new with that spec ?
So would this be a late 1994 early 95 with original spec Lx levers and shifters ? its got has the LX rear hub
:?
Would love to know cause if they are original to the bike i wont change it and keep it original .

overall a good clean bike.

wheels and hubs are correct, LX parallax at the rear was catalogue spec. they are good hubs anyway.

shifters should be XT sti. bit of a swap-out give away is the fact that the blue/grey bar ends aren't present, new grips too. although nothing wrong with LX rapid-fire :).

stars and stripes metal badge usually located above the tange badge has blown away too, easily lost though.

cranks look to be sugino of some kind. white industries was the 'usual' but, may have been an option.

enjoy it regardless :cool:

marc two tone":306zjqwr said:
overall a good clean bike.

wheels and hubs are correct, LX parallax at the rear was catalogue spec. they are good hubs anyway.

shifters should be XT sti. bit of a swap-out give away is the fact that the blue/grey bar ends aren't present, new grips too. although nothing wrong with LX rapid-fire :).

stars and stripes metal badge usually located above the tange badge has blown away too, easily lost though.

cranks look to be sugino of some kind. white industries was the 'usual' but, may have been an option.

enjoy it regardless :cool:
They are richey grips and look new , cant be originals ?
As for the crank ,i think it is a sugino and not a white industries,is that normal spec for a team !?
The guy i bought it off didnt ride it and after a couple of years of being in his garage not being ridden ,decided to stick it in his loft for 13 years ,the bike is as close to a new one as i think you would get.
The original owner tho was adamant that from new this was the spec that this bike came with,he was a teacher and not the type to tell porkies :)
I would love to find out for certain , if a member on this site dont know then nobody would :LOL:

deffo 95

no info on grips but ritchey were a fav of marin

lx hub rear , cassette , chain , all other xt , except should be white industries cranks and front hub

b ends marin lite silver , marin lite brakes (ritchey pads) , stem , qr's , bar , bottle cages

bontrager/titec post

mavic 230 , quake 7.1 , 7.0 tyres

Too good to ride?

Think of the poor bike, ridden a couple of times to the shop then cooped up in the loft for 13 years. Give it the freedom it deserves, ride it and get it dirty - well just a bit. :)

SLIM":3sugvhy4 said:
deffo 95

no info on grips but ritchey were a fav of marin

lx hub rear , cassette , chain , all other xt , except should be white industries cranks and front hub

b ends marin lite silver , marin lite brakes (ritchey pads) , stem , qr's , bar , bottle cages

bontrager/titec post

mavic 230 , quake 7.1 , 7.0 tyres
It has bontrager/titec post , the rear LX hub,the White industries front hub etc
But if this guy was telling the truth why would this one be fitted with LX levers and shifters ?
Also sugino crank ? dont know much about them are they any good ?
If i am honest ,imo I think the guy was telling the truth ,he didint know much about marins/bikes just bought a good bike and never rode it ,i think for what eva reason the shop sold this bike with these bits on maybe ?

Back