Specialized Rockhopper 1997

coomber

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Picked this up today, a 1997 Specialized Rockhopper which is in a right state. Going to build it for the Mrs but if not, will give it a bit of love and move it on. Its way too small for me. Nice though, if you can look past the infinite grime and dirt.
DSC03185.jpg

DSC03206.jpg

DSC03189.jpg

No idea what is going on with these grips?!

DSC03197.jpg

Trying to get them off is a mare, they are half melted onto the handlebar. This took an hour!

DSC03211.jpg

The pics dont do the dirt any justice.

DSC03203.jpg

DSC03215.jpg

DSC03216.jpg

DSC03217.jpg

DSC03221.jpg

DSC03222.jpg

Just tried getting the bottom bracket out, bolted the tool to the bottom bracket... its one of the integrated handle ones, so with no leverage bar in sight, hit it with a hammer. A few times. And the tool has snapped. Its not moving quick!

Ordered a Shimano one now instead....

And the forks are seized in... cannot move them, even the spacers are bonded to the steerer.

My garage stinks of penetrating oil now! :LOL:

ade , apologies up front
but

ffs
its a 97 rockhopper

the stereotypical retrobike

strip it of the useful bits and bury the rest

then get back to the stuff you do well ,not this shit

mikee":1bf4qwnz said:
ade , apologies up front
but

ffs
its a 97 rockhopper

:LOL:

As I said, its more a project that fell in my lap then one I am that bothered about. I just want to give a manky bike a lease of life and then I will send it back to the masses and concentrate on nicer things :D

coomber":14n1l3az said:
mikee":14n1l3az said:
ade , apologies up front
but

ffs
its a 97 rockhopper

:LOL:

As I said, its more a project that fell in my lap then one I am that bothered about. I just want to give a manky bike a lease of life and then I will send it back to the masses and concentrate on nicer things :D

you're as bad as me, hate seeing things in a bad way just have to have a go at fixing them up, no matter how low down the food chain, I'm like the PDSA for bikes :shock:

you should of seen how mangled my Lava dome 97 was, but I love it, brillaint work bike ;)

"ade , apologies up front
but

ffs
its a 97 rockhopper

then get back to the stuff you do well ,not this shit"

Theres quite a few Rockhoppers on ebay it the moment.
How do you rate them compared to
Kona Hahanna or Marin Muirwoods.

ssmco28":1lsyghn8 said:
mikee":1lsyghn8 said:
"ade , apologies up front
but

ffs
its a 97 rockhopper

then get back to the stuff you do well ,not this shit"

Not had a marin to ride, but a mate used to have a 1997 hahanna and I thought the were a nice ride, even though they were the lowest on the Kona standings.

Sure this Rockhopper will be ok to ride, but pretty uninspiring perhaps? Its for the Mrs, but I will give it a ride to see when its back in one piece, but the bottom bracket is not budging at the moment and the spacers have bonded to the forks too, meaning my garage is currently stinking of penetrating oil.

ssmco28":3nloqfha said:

pardon? :p

in my less than experienced opinion, i would say from recent comments i've read about those bikes, the Rockhopper is probably more favourably viewed (i think this would only apply to the earlier rockhoppers - pre-96 models).

I like Konas but haven't much of a clue about how they ride.
depends what you want it for really. i'd say they all have potential to become decent converted road/commuter bikes, but as mountain bike i ain't so sure......

Back