Stumpjumper

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
In 1990 football came home and it was a great summer, at least if you were English and believed the Holy trinity of New Order, Keith Allen and John Barnes. Momentous as that was, I remember summer 1991 with a touch more fndness.

I was at University and had sold my bike (Marin Palisades) because I needed the money. I then got a call from a friend, a sub 50 minute 10 mile runner, that we had entered the first Polaris. Sounded great, but I didn't have a bike. I was swiftly told "get yourself to Geoffrey Butler's, big man" where a Stumpjumper was waiting for me, paid for by my friend (I had to pay him back I may add). Cutting back through Richmond Park on the way home, all felt good. The Polaris was great too, made all the better by my mate's quivering bottom lip as I pushed him up the climbs (he was in charge of food and had bought a fun size back of Boost, a fun size pack of Mars and 57p worth of bananas. For 2. For 2 days).

I won't bore further/again with my vaguely Stumpjumper related tales. Before Christmas I decided I should get a Stumpjumper again and was surprised when my search did not yield instant results - I thought these bikes were reasonably common BITD. Anyway, I was contacted by an American guy off here who offered me one pretty much complete for postage only. I was and an staggered by this generosity. Many, many thanks Steve.

So what we have here is the finished article, unridden as I'm currently in the latter stages of manflu. The only bits I needed to add were forks, wheels, bars, shifters and saddle. I haven't tried to make it exactly like what I had in the 90s but to get it how I want it now and I'm really pleased with the result on the round the garden ride - it felt like home.

Altogether now "It's coming home, it's coming home, it's coming, football's coming home"

Attachments

• Stump front.JPG
    Stump front.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 2,255
  • Stump head on.JPG
    Stump head on.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 2,255
  • Stump side.JPG
    Stump side.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 2,255
stumpie.

Very nice. You can't beat that feeling of getting back what was once the most important thing BITD :D
Used to ride the loop round Richmond park too :D ... in at Ham gate, up the climb and round the park to Richmond gate then down to the towpath and all the way up to Hampton court. Another Kingston University graduate?

Looks great Ed, get chance to ride it yet? I'm hopefully getting my 90 ish stumpy back from the coaters soon. Will have to pick your brains on decals and build. Other than the forsk is it as it would've come?

John Barnes rapping - genius. World in motion is the greatest football song of all time > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nQItOROYlc . Think there is possibly a correlation between how well england do in major competitions and the quality of the official song.

Two more points

1. Chris Waddle's mullet
2. "Footballs coming home" was the chant from 3 lions - the official song from euro 96 which was of course held in england.

Like it a lot Double Tap. Very nice. One of my preferred stumpys that one. Nice Grey.

World in motion. Very good. Watched that world cup over a summer in Germany.

:cool:

Nice done this one....!!!

Looks good with tha kind of forks!

Have fun riding it

:)

Cheers,
Martin

looks great.

Cant help but wonder how big/rough your garden is if you need to wear your helmet though...;)

I spent many a mile in richmond park while I was building houses on kingston hill....

Then noticed an all womens biathlon team training....so ended up tucking in behind on my tri-bike instead :LOL: :cool:

boy"O"boy":334ph603 said:
Very nice. You can't beat that feeling of getting back what was once the most important thing BITD :D
Used to ride the loop round Richmond park too :D ... in at Ham gate, up the climb and round the park to Richmond gate then down to the towpath and all the way up to Hampton court. Another Kingston University graduate?

I was at Kingston Poly (halcyon days) and did a lot of running in Richmond Park but was at Imperial and mostly riding in Surrey when I got the Stumpjumper

John":334ph603 said:
Looks great Ed, get chance to ride it yet? I'm hopefully getting my 90 ish stumpy back from the coaters soon. Will have to pick your brains on decals and build. Other than the forsk is it as it would've come?

John Barnes rapping - genius. World in motion is the greatest football song of all time > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nQItOROYlc . Think there is possibly a correlation between how well england do in major competitions and the quality of the official song.

Two more points

1. Chris Waddle's mullet
2. "Footballs coming home" was the chant from 3 lions - the official song from euro 96 which was of course held in england.

Build wise either go for XC Pro throughout (as on the Pro, Greaseguard if possible - don't sell your XC Pro running gear!) or XT throughout (as on the Team). I've got a Specialized quill stem and seat q/r if you want?

And of course you're absolutely right with the football song references but mentioning "getting round the back" or "one on one" didn't sound quite right so I attempted to blur time/history.

I used to do that ride home from school (Ham Gate at Richmond Park). My first mtb rides were through there on an '87 Muddy Fox. What were you boys doing at Kingston? My old man was a lecturer there for years.

Sorry for teh Hijak Ed. ;)

Sorry for the hijack too... :D

Was a student on the Product design course in Kingston 94 - 97.
Happy days.. :LOL:
Agree with pickle...Those DX thumbies look great!...just got some for the "O" :D

..enjoy

Back