Orange Clockwork 1992/3

MarkleSparkle

Retrobike Rider
I’ve been registered on the site for a couple of years, with only a wee bit of activity - reading, trading and most importantly riding – so it’s about time that I posted some details of my bike…

I’ve owned this Clockwork frame since new, bought from either Stif or Aire Valley Cycles, as a replacement for a Kirk Revolution (snapped the frame next to the sacrificial dropout when it fell over!). It was built up with the majority of the kit from the Kirk and upgraded gradually over the following years with all the usual bits and pieces available to a teenager in the mid-nineties.

The Clockwork was superseded by a Klein Pulse in 1998 and left to languish in my parents garage for a few years, before being used as a commuter and even as a stand-in bike to race one of the Brownbacks rounds over at Lee Quarry. Then I found this site and I’m glad I kept it hold of the old Clockwork, as Retrobike has provided inspiration for changing it back to it back to its mid-nineties set up and its heyday of riding and racing around West Yorkshire!

It’s not quite ready to ride at the moment, with a few decisions to be made on some of the details. I’ve borrowed parts from my brothers old Giant CADEX CFM2 (Retro ridden at Rivington a couple of years ago and for sale elsewhere on here) to allow me to get it working too.

Frame: Orange Clockwork 1992/3 (frame number A209xxxx), 17”, original black paint, updated stickers. Plus the odd extra No Fear/Rip Curl/etc sticker!
Fork: Pace RC35, new elastomers.
Headset: Deore DX
Stem: ControlTech
Handlebar: Pace RC-Sub-130 (I originally had grey ones - went years ago to be replaced by risers – couldn’t resist these NOS purple (3DV?) ones recently, but would swap for a NOS set in grey)
Grips: Used to be Onza Ules (again long gone)
Brakes: Dia-Comp 987
Brake Pads: Aztec
Brake Cables: Generic
Cantilever cable hangers: Generic
Brake Levers: …….

Shifters: DX Thumbies
Front Derailleur: XTR
Rear Derailleur: Deore DX short cage
Derailleur Cables: Generic
Cassette: …..
Chain: ……
Cranks: Deore DX
Crank Bolts: Deore DX
Chainrings: Deore DX
Chainring bolts: Deore DX
Bottom Bracket: UN71
Pedals: Onza steel (but no cleats, so useless to me at the moment!) / modern Shimano

Hub Skewers: Shimano
Rims: Campag Stheno
Hubs: Deore DX / Hope Ti
Nipples: …
Spokes: ...
Tyres: Panaracer Smoke
Tubes: Presta valves

Saddle: Selle Italia Flite
Seatpost: X-lite
Seatpost Binder: …

Weight: …

Cheers!
Mark

To be continued ...

Attachments

• IMG_4750.JPG
    IMG_4750.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 1,630
  • IMG_4756.JPG
    IMG_4756.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 1,629
Good to hear from you Mark. Lovely looking Clockwork and great to see one which has been owned from new.

I recgonse the picture and the story..

i remember riding the trials sections after the race!

you got any more pics?

wish i still had my bike from then... can you remeber what i had??

Cheers for the comments. To be honest, it's never going to be a showroom perfect bike, but more of an honest rebuild with a few blemishes... all of those scratches and dings are mine so I don't mind!

Paul - Hope you're well? Once the Clockwork's up and running I'll make sure I make it out for another ride with you all.

Mark! :shock: :D - By 'eck, how are you?! Very well I hope? Good to see you're still playing with these silly old bicycles too! Marins all the way for you wasn't it? But they kept getting nicked?
No more photos here I'm afraid, but I'm sure my folks have got plenty stashed away at their house - I'll have to dig through them next time I'm over.
Good to hear from you!

plenty of history against both bike and rider. very popular are the clockworks :cool:

that race/route..is it still as it was? would like to ride it someday ;)

hello. yeah im good thanks you?

yeah remeber racing there and and doing the trials on my marin indian fire trial.. would love to see some pics of us back then. me you Dave and crinny!

good times when all we use to do was ride out bikes!

remember your good old kirk..

Back