1994 Kona Explosif Project

mheywoo1

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
So, having waited about 4 years to do my first "Readers Bike" post, this is my third in 1 week!

If you've read my "1995 Marin Team Marin" post, you'll know that after having had a clear out and got down to my "ideal" of 4 bikes (race 29er MTB, road training MTB, Utility bike and Pace retrobike), I got itchy fingers on eBay a while back and soon my fourth favourite bike of 1994 was on its way.

I always loved the way Kona's looked. They were the first mainstream brand I was aware off who made bike look the way they still do now with a nice long headtube and sloping top tube.

I love the green colour of the 1994 version and this one has been completely re-sprayed and decalled to look good as new (other than two chips on chainstay). The previous owner got the forks sprayed in the same green which I know is not correct but it looks more harmonious. I also believe these may be a later project 2 fork as they are 420mm long rather than 390mm so unless Kona were well ahead of the game with suspension correction.........

Anyway, that works well for me. I like a slightly longer fork as it makes it much more stable and comfy.

Photos below are of it as it arrived. I'm going to keep the frame and forks, restore the headset and then basically spec it thus. I'm not going for dream spec as I'm trying to keep it to a reasonable budget but here goes............

Oh, did I mention its going to be singlespeed? Sorry but its how I like my Retrobikes. Gives me a genuine reason to ride them rather than just on the more modern stuff in the garage

- Kona Explosif frame, 19" centre to top
- Kona Project 2 fork, 420mm
- Kona headset
- Zoom NOS or similar quill stem, 100 - 110mm
- J&L Titanium handlebar (Ritchey Forcelite stand-in to start with)
- TBC (hopefully White Industries but budget may mean XT Parralax) front hub and White Industries Eno eccentric rear. I'm going to build these on to a pair of NOS Mavic 517 rims via DT Revolution spokes and some orange aluminium nipples (to match the frame highlights). The nipples will either look great or rubbish. Hopefully the former and its fairly likely they will at some time find themselves on to the Orange Vitamin T2 I don't yet own.
- Schwalbe Rocket Ron tyres run with Stans Tubeless
- TA Vega cranks with 36t Surly chainring. Or Race face Turbine if it looks better.
- TBC but likely White Industries free-wheel
- KMC chain
- Cheap, new Brand-X 410 x 27.0mm silver seatpost just to confirm it is 27.0mm! Opinion seems to vary between 26.6 and 27.0 and the vernier shows something in the middle. Likely to be replaced with Thomson when size knows (anyone know how to get the black anodizing off as they only make 27.0 in black?)
- Brand new Selle Italia Flite Classic Saddle
- XT M737 V brakes

First job has been to lacquer over the frame decals which I did this afternoon. I hope it rubs down and polishes up well!

I'm then going to remove the headset, polish up and fit some new (ball!) bearings.

I'm slowly amassing the parts but as I'm also changing my RC200 and blinging up my 29er race bike it could be some time before its complete. Hopefully in time to bring to the Cannock Retrobike event around Xmas is my target.

BTW, if you don't like the non-origianlity of this bike, check out my Team Marin - its just as it left the facctory in '95 and absolutely immaculate!

Photos to follow:

Photos:

Love the one of the BB area showing the "ribbed" down tube.

Attachments

• P1020864 (1024x768).jpg
    P1020864 (1024x768).jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 2,924
  • P1020862 (1024x440).jpg
    P1020862 (1024x440).jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 2,919
  • P1020861 (603x1024).jpg
    P1020861 (603x1024).jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 2,919
  • P1020860 (654x1024).jpg
    P1020860 (654x1024).jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 2,920
  • P1020859 (1024x532).jpg
    P1020859 (1024x532).jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 2,919
  • P1020855 (800x767).jpg
    P1020855 (800x767).jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 2,921
  • P1020850 (1024x671).jpg
    P1020850 (1024x671).jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 2,926
Like it, forks look good in the same colour too, looking forward to seeing it finished, leaving in road trim? My 92 lava dome's road trim too.

No, the slicks are going on my Pace RC200 Fixed Wheel project. I'll be popping Rocket Ron's on and riding muddy singletrack through the winter, probably wishing I had disc brakes instead of clogged up V's!

No, the slicks are going on my Pace RC200 Fixed Wheel project. I'll be popping Rocket Ron's on and riding muddy singletrack through the winter, probably wishing I had disc brakes instead of clogged up V's!

Explosif Build Complete

Hoorya, the Explosif finally got built up just before Christmas and got nice and muddy over the 2 week break.

Final build spec as follows:

- Kona Explosif frame, 19" centre to top
- Kona Project 2 fork, 420mm
- Kona Impact headset
- Pro NOS quill stem, 105mm
- Ritchey Forcelite NOS handlebar (aim to replace with Ti)
- White Industries MI5 front hub and White Industries Eno eccentric rear which I built on to a pair of NOS Mavic 517 rims via DT Revolution spokes and some orange aluminium nipples (to match the frame highlights). I was a bit worried the orange nipples could look a bit too much but actually I think they are cool
- Gear Gato 1.95" mud tyres. I've tried in vain to run Stans Tubeless but to no avail so far
- '92 Shimano LX black crank with goldtec 36T chainring
- White Industries free-wheel - 18T
- SRAM PC1 chain
- Brand-X 410 x 27.2mm silver seatpost (turned out it was not a 27.0mm diametere after all which opens up the titanium opportunities somewhat). This is new but does have a period correct look about it.
- Selle italia SLR XC saddle (saving the Brand new Selle Italia Flite Classic Saddle for when all the mud has gone)
- XT M737 V brakes

The build was, as always a bit frustrating in places. Main issues were the brake pads / holders not being compatible. Then the pins all got lost or broke.......... In the end I fitted some used 1-piece ones I had kicking around. A host of v-brake pads, cables, do-nuts, noodles etc have now been ordered to avoid similar frustration in the future.

I was also unable to get the (Non-TL ready) tyres to seal on the (non-TL ready) rims even with a compressor. I'm going to ride with tubes for a while and then try again when I'm in a better mood.

First ride was just down the filthy local disused railway. Initial impressions were good, until the seat clamp threaded 5 min in to the ride! I popped home and fashioned up a temporary replacement using a part from another bike.

It felt really nice and twangy, although some of the control positions needed adjustment - and it felt even better once they were made.

I now need to decide what to do next: Buy a replacement seat-clamp or let it sit prettily in the garage whilst I get on with the next project; a '94 Saracen Ultra Ti.

I'll post photos soon..........

Back