Pace RC200 F5 Singlespeed

mheywoo1

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
For me, the RC200 is the definative mid 90's MTB so it seemed like a good place to start my Retrobike journey 3 or 4 years ago...........

This is actually my second RC200. The first was, coincidentally, an F5 as well. I sold it about 2 years ago because the frame was a bit ratty. I knew it was when I bought it but because I thought I would get it resprayed black it didn't really matter. However, when I worked out the cost of paint and decals I thought I'd sell it and wait for a better one to come along.

A gorgeous nickle plated P7 and Marin Team Ti later, what I wanted appeared on eBay so I snapped it up.

The previous owner had it from new. He rode it quite a bit and then sent it back to Pace at some point for a bit of a freshening. During this renovation, they ground off the original rear brake guides (including the massive and ugly one on the wishbone) and added new ones along the left hand side of the top tube. They also added an upper disc mount on the LH seatstay, re-anodized it and applied the latest stickers. I guess the decals will date when this work was done. Anyway, once this was complete, the owner never got around to building it so it was practically brand new when I got my hands on it.

Now, I have a fleet of modern bike for racing and training on and I can't (quite) justify having retobikes just to look nice in the garage. For me, the perfect way to enjoy them is to make them as simple as possible for my "local woods" rides. This invariably means fully rigid and one gear. I know not everyone will buy in to this philosophy but original tyres, canti brakes, handlebars and seatposts are out. New tyres and v-brakes that work and new aluminium posts and bars that are not likely to fatigue fail and maim me are in.

The spec is as follows:
- Pace RC200 F5 frame, 18"
- Pace RC30 forks, 425mm
- Hope Fatso and Ti-Glide titanium hubs with 36 DT Revolution spokes, red Araya aluminium nipples and black Mavic XC717 Rims
- Schwalble Rocket Ron 26 x 2.0" tyres, running Stans Tubeless
- Synros flat bar
- X-Lite Alto Pro bar ends (cut down after one crash too many) in XTR grey
- Pace RC45 stem, 100mm in XTR grey
- Thomson Elite seatpost, 29.4 x 400mm
- Selle Italia SLR XC saddle
- XTR V brakes
- TA Vega cranks with Surly singlespeed chainring (36T) running on a UN54 BB
- KMC Chain
- 18T sprocket
- Surly chain tensioner

When I sold my original RC200, I found that the P7 I replaced it with was much more suited to the rooty local woods. The Pace in undoubtedly, shall we say, "efficient" in the way it rides. Or, to put another way, stiff. So, to soften the ride and make it faster and grippier, I replaced the Panaracer Trailrakers with teh rocket Rons and ran them tubeless - much nicer.

I've had loads of fun ragging this around and can quite happily do two fast laps of the full Cannock "Follow the Dog" and "Monkey" trails. I have lots of fun blasting past people on the ups, which is not too surprising considering its minimalist build but its also surprised a few people who have set of just behind me on the last two swoopy downhills and been left for the dead. OK, its not so good in the rutty areas leading up to the switchbacks but it sure encourages you to pick a good line!

Recently though, I've moved out of the city to the country and no longer have a local woods(!). I've also just sold my fixed gear road bike and don't want this immaculate frame to crack like the old one did. So, I've bought a Kona Explosif frame as my next project and I'm turning this in to a fixed wheel road warrior. I'm sure this will upset even more people but it will look cool, ride fast and get lots of use. It'll also means I'll be able to get rid of the only bit I don't really like the look of: the chain tensioner.

Gil_M has supplied me with some horizontal dropouts and the Stans 355 rims and Surly hubs are on order. I've also got a silver Race Face Turbine crank to try and some very slick Specialized Fat Boys!

I'll post some pics of that when built but in the meantime, here is how it looks now..............:

Photos:

Attachments

• P1030221 (800x726).jpg
    P1030221 (800x726).jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 2,589
  • P1030219 (800x744).jpg
    P1030219 (800x744).jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 2,590
  • P1030216 (800x512).jpg
    P1030216 (800x512).jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 2,591
  • P1030220 (1024x660).jpg
    P1030220 (1024x660).jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 2,591
Yes, the potential to swap out the drop outs to horizontal make it really versatile. Will look much cleaner without the chain tesnioner - though they do work well where there is no alternative.

Post some pics when you've "dug it out"

looks cool buddy, you sure its not an f8 though :D

love mine to bits, def a keeper after selling my first.

Definately an F5. The 1" headtube and frame number confirm it. As I say, the frame has been updated by Pace to include the decals. Would be interested to know when the decals date from though.

cool, confused as to it having disc mounts, do pace still other this service? seen the dropout conversion done but that looks way sweeter :cool:

well here it is at the moment
P1010462.jpg

P1010373.jpg

cept its in the loft

Back