Early 90's GIANT Escaper

wowtimmo

Dirt Disciple
Hi again folks,

Yesterday I stumbled upon an early GIANT ESCAPER

It seems it has some high end parts on it and is very light too.

No rust on it whatsoever and apparently is very early 90's, possibly late 80's.

Some of the spec on it includes 26" quick release Araya CV-7 rims, tioga surefoot V1 pedals/straps, shimano deore LX chainset/derailleurs 21 speed, shimano rapid thumbshifters, madison aztec formula brake pads ( not sure where to get these from now or what to swap them for??? )

There is no rust on this bike either, the frame is in VGC for its age with hardly any marks or scratches on it all.

It has a Selle Italia Turbo Matic 2 leather seat on it too which one of the steel seat supports underneath has snapped so need to get a new support to sort that out.

It seems to need a new spoke on the rear araya rim as that has snapped although I cant see any further damage to the rim except its slightly buckled where the spoke broke.

Although the cables are all intact and move freely I might just replace them all.

I think once Ive stripped and deep cleaned this bike then done the necessary lubrication/greasing then tuned it up a little it will be a brilliant bike to ride!

I bought this in birmingham yesterday, the guy who has owned it since new has moved to singapore and didnt want it anymore.

Says he paid approx £500 when new???

Pics to follow

I Paid £525 for my Giant Super Sierra with XT in 89 so I would guess an LX equipped Giant around that time would of been about £350.

i have the nigel

80515865.jpg

The guy I bought it off has said he also paid £85 for the seat which is a selle italia turbo matic 2 leather seat on top of the bike price, thats nearly £600 of kit back in the early 90's!!!

just been for a 25 mile cross country rip on this giant, all I can say is its awesome, all Ive had to do is do the tyre pressures make sure the brakes and gears are working as they should and hey ho its manic.......

fab bike and handles really well too!!

I'm in love with it!!!!!!

I'll clean it tomorrow as its caked in mud and throw some pics on here ;0)

Can of Coke":ng6zfelm said:
What colour is it? I had a metallic fleck Dark Blue/purple Escaper, the year before was red.

Hi can, its that very same colour! A bit like indigo/purple/blue!!

I'll put pics on once ive cleaned it up, really nice bike, do you still have yours and what was your opinion of it during your ownership?

Back