Alpinestars 2012 **purists look away now!**

Johnboy

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Okay, okay, I know, '92 Alpinestars Cro-mega frame in '91 colours and modern componentry. No doubt I'll be drummed out of Retrobike for this :) but it's what I wanted. I always liked the '91 Al-mega XT colouring but didn't fancy the frames tendency to catastrophically fail.

It's a Cro-mega DX frame and forks, which I got off of Stu. It was painted by RB's very own Woodsman. Decals by Gil of course and both Woodsman and Gil showed the patience of saints!

The original idea was to do a version of what I imagined an Alpinestars would look like if they still made them. So I was going to get disc mount tabs welded on and grind the front mech bracket off, but I couldn't quite bring myself to do it in the end. It's all been done before, but at least it kept me occupied for a few months. I'm pleased with the way it turned out though, and surprised at how light the finished bike feels.

P9170427_zpsa39a2f23.jpg

P9170430-1.jpg

P9170432-1.jpg

I like what you've done - these kind of retro-mod builds are a great way of keeping frames being ridden and used.

I like it!
As long as a bike is being ridden, then I don't see the problem.
How are you finding the IRD thumbie?
I'm about to build a 1x9 winter bike, and have been looking at different shifting options

makster":3drphgar said:
I like it!
I'm about to build a 1x9 winter bike, and have been looking at different shifting options

I like the thumbie, it feels well made and works well. Don't know about reliability but there's not much that can go wrong with a thumbie really.

Johnboy":15fdwqbz said:
makster":15fdwqbz said:
I like it!

I like the thumbie, it feels well made and works well. Don't know about reliability but there's not much that can go wrong with a thumbie really.

Where did you buy it? I've seen them in pairs online, but only want the rh one.
May just go for the SJS/Dura Ace version at £43

Like it chap, think I would be on the end of the rope quicker than you if peeps saw what I have done to my cro-mega :LOL:

It's looking fantastic, you've given the old girl a new lease of life! :)

Cheers
Stu

makster":ot2vsw2g said:
Johnboy":ot2vsw2g said:
makster":ot2vsw2g said:
I like it!

Where did you buy it? I've seen them in pairs online, but only want the rh one.
May just go for the SJS/Dura Ace version at £43

I got them off Ebay from a guy in the States, cost me £55 for the pair, including postage, result or what!

Back