Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:51 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:40 pm 
Old School Hero
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:45 pm
Posts: 167
Location: Wrexham
Very nice, well done! I did mine in a Retro Modern look too, I think they look great?!? Check out mine too on previous posts!!!!
How does it ride?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:51 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:33 pm
Posts: 3972
Location: Brighton
this does nothing to suppress my lust for these bikes :) well done chap, i really like it :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:05 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:24 pm
Posts: 324
Location: West Sussex
Skinwhistle wrote:
Very nice, well done! I did mine in a Retro Modern look too, I think they look great?!? Check out mine too on previous posts!!!!
How does it ride?


Had a look at yours, good job! Your reasons for wanting one are the same as mine, always wanted one BITD. How does it ride? Oh yes, I knew there was something I had forgotten :oops:

twain wrote:
this does nothing to suppress my lust for these bikes :) well done chap, i really like it :)


Get one and join the club then!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:57 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:08 am
Posts: 6840
Location: Nth Somerset, UK
That's a really nice build, I like that a lot.

I'm a big fan of retro/modern builds and all my recent bikes are put together that way, the next one even more so. It doesn't always sit well with some folks, but like others have said, if it keeps the bike in use, then that's what it's all about.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:35 am 
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:35 pm
Posts: 2784
Absolutely love it..... in fact, I'm getting a semi right now just looking at it

Not a fan of the saddle, but thats the only comment I would have to make (other than not envying you when it comes to cleaning them tyres :lol: )

F*** the purists.... if they are so bothered about it, l;et them make an offer to buy it and revert it back to its old, worn out clunky originality



Incidentally, your first picture evokes many childhood memories for me. I grew around Woldingham and Westerham, Forrest Row.... Box Hill was a favourite stomping ground obviously, and in fact I was down your way at the weekend for my brothers wedding in Ide Hill (OK, Kent I know, but on the border as near as damnit)



G


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:17 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:24 pm
Posts: 324
Location: West Sussex
Thanks for the compliments guys, this post has gone better than I hoped.......so far!

unkleGsif - The picture was taken on the South Downs, near Ditchling Beacon (well known dogging spot......so I've been told). But my old stamping ground back in the early 90's was Box Hill as well. I still have fond memories of tearing down Flint Hill (backside of Box Hill) on my Marin Palisades Trail, no front suspension then, used to shake my fillings loose I can tell you :lol:

As for cleaning the tyres, you've heard of pub bikes, well this is my riding on hardpack on an idyllic summers day, but only if there's enough moisture on the ground to keep the dust down bike. So not a garage queen, but close!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:07 am 
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:35 pm
Posts: 2784
Johnboy wrote:
But my old stamping ground back in the early 90's was Box Hill as well. I still have fond memories of tearing down Flint Hill (backside of Box Hill) on my Marin Palisades Trail, no front suspension then, used to shake my fillings loose I can tell you :lol:


Small world, we probably passed each other on identical bikes :lol:
My (hot-sexy-girl-that-got-away :cry: ) mate from college lived in the big house at the top of Box Hill... the one that John Logie Baird lived in, and our buddy lived at the bottom between Dorking and Westhumble


G


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:04 am 
Retro Guru

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:28 pm
Posts: 992
Location: Norfolk
That looks ace! Love those white wall tyres what are they? If it was mine I would have straight bars non-oversized but thats just me :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:26 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:24 pm
Posts: 324
Location: West Sussex
CHASE76 wrote:
That looks ace! Love those white wall tyres what are they? If it was mine I would have straight bars non-oversized but thats just me :)


Tyres are Geax Saguaro, but I think I got the last ones in the UK. As for the bars, I'm an old man and need to be in an upright position these days because of my back. I could have fitted a load of spacers to get the bars higher and used straight bars but personally I think that looks a bit naff. Just my opinion of course, don't want to start a war (you have to be so careful on this site :lol:)

unkleGsif wrote:
My (hot-sexy-girl-that-got-away :cry: ) mate from college lived in the big house at the top of Box Hill... the one that John Logie Baird lived in

- hot-sexy and loaded by the sound of it!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:46 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:28 pm
Posts: 992
Location: Norfolk
Johnboy wrote:
CHASE76 wrote:
That looks ace! Love those white wall tyres what are they? If it was mine I would have straight bars non-oversized but thats just me :)


Tyres are Geax Saguaro, but I think I got the last ones in the UK. As for the bars, I'm an old man and need to be in an upright position these days because of my back. I could have fitted a load of spacers to get the bars higher and used straight bars but personally I think that looks a bit naff. Just my opinion of course, don't want to start a war (you have to be so careful on this site :lol:)

unkleGsif wrote:
My (hot-sexy-girl-that-got-away :cry: ) mate from college lived in the big house at the top of Box Hill... the one that John Logie Baird lived in

- hot-sexy and loaded by the sound of it!


Easly to upset folk on here!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bignick, firedfromthecircus, GosforthBike and 20 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group