Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:44 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:39 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:24 pm
Posts: 324
Location: West Sussex
Okay, okay, I know, '92 Alpinestars Cro-mega frame in '91 colours and modern componentry. No doubt I'll be drummed out of Retrobike for this :-) but it's what I wanted. I always liked the '91 Al-mega XT colouring but didn't fancy the frames tendency to catastrophically fail.

It's a Cro-mega DX frame and forks, which I got off of Stu. It was painted by RB's very own Woodsman. Decals by Gil of course and both Woodsman and Gil showed the patience of saints!

The original idea was to do a version of what I imagined an Alpinestars would look like if they still made them. So I was going to get disc mount tabs welded on and grind the front mech bracket off, but I couldn't quite bring myself to do it in the end. It's all been done before, but at least it kept me occupied for a few months. I'm pleased with the way it turned out though, and surprised at how light the finished bike feels.



Image

Image

Image


Last edited by Johnboy on Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:54 pm 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:03 am
Posts: 1412
Location: Edinburgh
I like what you've done - these kind of retro-mod builds are a great way of keeping frames being ridden and used.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:06 pm 
BoTM Winner / retrobike rider
BoTM Winner / retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:24 pm
Posts: 5668
Location: Dorset
I like it!
As long as a bike is being ridden, then I don't see the problem.
How are you finding the IRD thumbie?
I'm about to build a 1x9 winter bike, and have been looking at different shifting options


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:16 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:24 pm
Posts: 324
Location: West Sussex
makster wrote:
I like it!
As long as a bike is being ridden, then I don't see the problem.
How are you finding the IRD thumbie?
I'm about to build a 1x9 winter bike, and have been looking at different shifting options


I like the thumbie, it feels well made and works well. Don't know about reliability but there's not much that can go wrong with a thumbie really.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:23 pm 
BoTM Winner / retrobike rider
BoTM Winner / retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:24 pm
Posts: 5668
Location: Dorset
Johnboy wrote:
makster wrote:
I like it!
As long as a bike is being ridden, then I don't see the problem.
How are you finding the IRD thumbie?
I'm about to build a 1x9 winter bike, and have been looking at different shifting options


I like the thumbie, it feels well made and works well. Don't know about reliability but there's not much that can go wrong with a thumbie really.


Where did you buy it? I've seen them in pairs online, but only want the rh one.
May just go for the SJS/Dura Ace version at £43


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:23 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:15 pm
Posts: 3499
Location: Behind you with the duct tape pulled out.
Like it chap, think I would be on the end of the rope quicker than you if peeps saw what I have done to my cro-mega :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:30 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:50 pm
Posts: 60
Looks good


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:40 pm 
jammy git
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:18 pm
Posts: 1073
Location: Thatcham, Berkshire
It's looking fantastic, you've given the old girl a new lease of life! :)

Cheers
Stu


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:48 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:15 pm
Posts: 3499
Location: Behind you with the duct tape pulled out.
Just to save you getting shot first heres mine
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:25 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:24 pm
Posts: 324
Location: West Sussex
makster wrote:
Johnboy wrote:
makster wrote:
I like it!
As long as a bike is being ridden, then I don't see the problem.
How are you finding the IRD thumbie?
I'm about to build a 1x9 winter bike, and have been looking at different shifting options


I like the thumbie, it feels well made and works well. Don't know about reliability but there's not much that can go wrong with a thumbie really.


Where did you buy it? I've seen them in pairs online, but only want the rh one.
May just go for the SJS/Dura Ace version at £43


I got them off Ebay from a guy in the States, cost me £55 for the pair, including postage, result or what!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: chrisv40, jimi911, slimjoe and 19 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group