1993 Kona LavaDome

baj

Senior Retro Guru
got to say, I was overwhelmed when I picked up this karma courtesy of red - Ian..
Thanks again mate :D

its pretty much all original except for grips as far as I can see.. I have a Curve bar to put on and have found myself looking at period correctish XT and XTR cantis/mechs, wheels etc but I am thinking of leaving it complete stock as I reckon it looks rather spanking as it is! Also, I am skint so would need to do on swaps.. The only problem is seatpost feels like its set in granite, although Ian and I are about the same height I think I may have shorter body/longer legs as the saddle is just an inch or so too low for me.. if i can't get it moving it might just stay put anyway, quite ridable... a couple of pics after a brief wipe over and tyres inflated...

I am a lucky badger :D

2012-09-15103727.jpg

2012-09-15103746.jpg

Frame: Tange Double Butted with 'Superlight' rear triangle

Fork: Project 2 Triple Butted

Headset: Impact
Stem: Velocity
Handlebar: Kona? now raw ti
Grips: foam hex
Barends: Onza

Brakes: Exage
Brake Pads: Shimano
Brake Cables: Shimano
Cantilever cable hangers: Kona
Brake Levers: DiaCompe SS-5

Shifters: Deore DX Thumbies
Front Derailleur: Exage
Rear Derailleur: Exage
Derailleur Cables: Shimano
Cassette: Exage?
Chain: Exage?
Cranks: Sugino XD 450
Crank Bolts: Sugino
Chainrings: Sugino Super Shifter
Chainring bolts: Sugino
Bottom Bracket: Shimano (anyone know the length?? I have UN72 but might be too short)
Pedals: Shimano

Hub Skewers: Shimano
Rims: Bontrager BCX-3/1
Hubs: Exage ES
Nipples: Alloy
Spokes: front-15G, rear-14G
Tyres: Kona A & B Drive
Tubes: ?

Saddle: Kona Racelight
Seatpost: Kona Racelight [stuck]
Seatpost Binder: Kona

Weight: 27lbs? :D

Sweet , looks in great nick :cool: :cool:

Shame about post you think it might come out ok??

cheers mate, it is much better than i expected!

not sure about the post, its having a daily dose of WD40 at the moment, its not that much shorter than I usually have it so its ok to ride as is.. if it becomes a pain in the back etc I'm planning to keep up the daily WD40 then take it to a mate's workshop to stick the post in a vice and gently turn the frame... unless anyone has a better idea?

Cool like you say ride it as it is and see how you get on. ;)

Great bit of karma :cool: Bet your over the moon.

My brothers first bike a 93 lava dome. Nice indeed.

WD40 wont do anything for a stuck post. You need proper penetrating oil. Or diesel.

Nice karma action this, thats a great bike.

excellent, thanks guys, I will source the right stuff and get that on the daily intravenous drip ;)

and thanks for the comments, dead chuffed to say the least :D

Lovely condition, defo keep as stock.

But

Frame: Tange Double Butted (apparently the 1992 Kilauea frame?)

This is interesting. Can anyone shed any light on this? Does this make the 93 LD a steal or does it mean the 92 Kilauea was pretty average?

First I've heard, and personally think its unlikely, as the Lava Dome was lower down the pecking order than Cinder Cone. If it were true, surely it would be the 93 CinderCone

Anthony will be along to set the record straight

G

Back