1995 Marin Team Marin

mheywoo1

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Here are a couple of photos of my recently completed project to wet the appetite..............

Plenty more to follow if you're interested!

Attachments

• P1030189 (1024x686).jpg
    P1030189 (1024x686).jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 5,626
  • P1030212 (1024x702).jpg
    P1030212 (1024x702).jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 5,619
Only seem to be able to upload one photo at a time so there might be a few posts before I've get 'em all up.

Attachments

• P1030190 (1024x768).jpg
    P1030190 (1024x768).jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 5,526
Look nice and clean build, well like an original marin was :)

Get some 'pedals on' pictures , bikes look odd without them and you'd have tomatoes thrown at you in BoTM.

So what did you start with and what have you done ?

You don't see many small Marins, in fact I don't think I've seen one before.
How did you get on setting the Marin Lite cantis up :LOL:

What seatpost is that, while it looks back to front to me, that could be the perspective. Not original as far as I know as they used Titec with layback

So, now I've got a few photos up, here is the story to go with them.

A few months ago, having cleared a few bikes out of the garage I idly typed "De Kerf" in to eBay. When nothing came up, I typed in my next favourite Canadian bike and a perfect 1994 Kona Explosif frameset was soon winging its way to me.

That reminded me of when I was 18, sauntering in to Lawes Cycles in kettering with £800 of "Woolies Saturday Boy" wages burning a hole in my pocket. MTB Pro advised me that I wanted a Specialized Stumpjumper or Kona Explosif. However, the only ones they had remaining in the end of season sale had front suspension and I wasn't ready for that yet. Sat next to them was a 1994 Marin Pine Mountaine and £780 later, it was mine.

I was pretty miffed when next months MTB Pro came out with an article about 1995's Marin's and their White Industries upgrades for only £850...........

I soon found myself typing "Retro Marin" in to eBay and this turned up. On first impressions it was not a winner. It had slick tyres, 'guards, a rack, kickstand and a massive high rise stem. However, closer inspection of the photos showed that the rims looked like they had never been touched by the brake pads and the vendor said it had never been in the rain (and hence never washed) and had spent most of its life hung up in his heated garage, next to the 911.

I didn't need another bike. But it seemed to good to be true. Max bid was duly entered and when I checked later, it was mine.

When it arrived it was nearly as new. A very few minor paint rubs and chips, a broken spoke nipple and 14 years worth of grub and grime.

Most of it looks as good as NOS. I had to source a new stem, saddle and tyres to complete which took a bit of searching, but, I hope you agree it was worth the effort. I'll add some detail shots over the next few days so you can revel in the immaculateness.

Really must get my Pace RC200 Fixed Wheel and Kona Explosif Singlespeed projects up now to use up all of the originality credits this one has gained me!

The seatpost is original too as far as I'm aware. I know Marin advertised as being fitted with a Titec post but I've never actually seen one. The '95 Team Ti I had also had this post fitted. Maybe i've just been unlucky?

This is a 15.5" frame centre to centre. Bit of a problem to me as it was advertised as a 17.5" and its slightly on the small side..............

Still, I'm quite happy to look at it for a few more weeks until the other builds start look a bit more like bikes.

Didn't think of putting pedals on for the photos as I don't have anything period correct. PDM540's almost look right don't they?

Back