My 1st retro build - Dynatech (El) Diablo - 92

trek_y

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I bought this frameset a little while back as I felt the need for something truly retro, other frames I've acquired have been closer to 2000, and always had a soft spot for the Raleighs so now going to get it built up now my not very retro at all Cannondale Scalpel is pretty much finished. This will be my 1st proper attempt at a retro build - canti brakes ... thumbshifters .... OMG ! :shock: :LOL:
From the superb Dynatech thread it appears its a 1992 Diablo and IMHO the best colours I've seen for one - with a name like Diablo it's got to be red / black / chaotic hasn't it !? I've got some old LX bits to throw at it but they are not period correct as are M560 series canti's and cranks (from 1996 ?) but I like the look of them and shouldn't be too hard to find all the other components to match hopefully. Is this flagrant disregard of "correctness" allowed ? ;)

Attachments

• diablo_92.jpg
    diablo_92.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 974
Lovely!.....nice colours!.....it's your bike, do with it as you wish, just ride it and enjoy it!......my only advice would be not to rush it......welcome to our ridiculous hobby.....:D

Thanks. :)
I like the idea of the LX components as the black finish on most of them works well with the red/black scheme in my book so thats what it'll be. It came with what you see , the bars look to be titanium so might strip them back to the metal and the Kalloy seatpost is too short so that'll need replacing. I'd like to find a few more titanium bits if possible but really can't afford to spend too much on this one so as you said it probably won't be rushed until the right bits come up at the right prices.
Been looking at it this afternoon a bit more - the BB is shot and the headset rather rough ! - and noticed the top cable guide is plain silver and the downtube one is painted red. Were Raleigh trying to save money or is it an idiot guide for which cable goes where - brakes top, gears bottom ? Lol. Whatever. Just more of the "bolt this bit on, make that out of steel then glue it to that bit of titanium, better get some aluminium in there too" makeup of this bike. Love it !

He He that's my patio table :D

Best of luck with the build I wish I'd have had the funds to do it as it was a lovely original frame set but heyho the Dale that replaced it is awesome.

Looking forward to seeing how yours come out when finished. Hoping to get mine done by Xmas. Got some nice goodies on their way this week :)

Back