Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:53 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:46 am 
The Guv'nor
The Guv'nor

Looking good 8)

Taking Tonys suggestion further maybe we could run a rumpfy vs carsten vs jez botm.

Are they all ridden? Assume they are from your comments. That is cool.

Are they all keepers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:08 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

cherrybomb wrote:
I've ridden bikes with the more relaxed geometry, early UK bikes copied the NorCal design. The Potts are beautifully made it's just the geometry doesn't suit my taste. :wink:

I just wish I lived somewhere with the kind of trails they suited, this little old island isn't famous for it's fireroad or hard pack :roll: :D

If you look on Steve Potts' website, he calls his bikes cross-terrain bikes, differentiating subtly from cross-country. I think we have quite a lot of fire road/hard pack actually, although obviously not as much as the USA. But the thing is that there's hardly anybody on those trails, because mtb fashion in the UK has moved away from that sort of 50+ miles in a day mode to technical riding without travelling far mode.

I think the Potts looks very suitable for x-c as well as x-t, and I'm not sure what is so relaxed about the geometry. The head angle is over 70, the offset isn't that large, maybe the chainstay is a little longer than modern bikes, but within the limits of a rigid fork, that looks a pretty usable bike to me. Except that I'd be a bag of nerves riding a bike with such a sublime paint job that I could so easily damage!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:27 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

John wrote:
Taking Tonys suggestion further maybe we could run a rumpfy vs carsten vs jez botm.

The only downside of that would be to introduce an element of personal competition, whereas I thought it would just be interesting for Rumpfy as well as for us to see which one of his bikes was most admired and coveted by his fellow Retrobikers. Funnily enough, it wouldn't be the BotY Raleigh for me, even though that is such a perfect recreation and has such historical significance, because I don't see it as the 'best' bike in the first place.

That's not to say that there shouldn't be a Carsten's BotM at some point, I agree that there should. One of the nice things about showcasing a particular collection is that, in replying to comments made during the voting, the owner could provide us with a running commentary about the bikes in a non-competitive atmosphere and that would be a really interesting way to add to our understanding of the early history of mountain biking.

Just my own humble thoughts, obviously!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:38 pm 
The Guv'nor
The Guv'nor

Anthony wrote:
John wrote:

The only downside of that would be to introduce an element of personal competition, whereas I thought it would just be interesting for Rumpfy as well as for us to see which one of his bikes was most admired and coveted by his fellow Retrobikers. Funnily enough, it wouldn't be the BotY Raleigh for me, even though that is such a perfect recreation and has such historical significance, because I don't see it as the 'best' bike in the first place.

That's not to say that there shouldn't be a Carsten's BotM at some point, I agree that there should. One of the nice things about showcasing a particular collection is that, in replying to comments made during the voting, the owner could provide us with a running commentary about the bikes in a non-competitive atmosphere and that would be a really interesting way to add to our understanding of the early history of mountain biking.

Just my own humble thoughts, obviously!

Maybe I should have put one of these at he end of my post > :wink:

We have no intention of running a BoTM for one person (or even three people) only. As Rumpfy suggests it might not be that interesting for others....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:01 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Anthony wrote:

If you look on Steve Potts' website, he calls his bikes cross-terrain bikes, differentiating subtly from cross-country. I think we have quite a lot of fire road/hard pack actually, although obviously not as much as the USA. But the thing is that there's hardly anybody on those trails, because mtb fashion in the UK has moved away from that sort of 50+ miles in a day mode to technical riding without travelling far mode.

I think the Potts looks very suitable for x-c as well as x-t, and I'm not sure what is so relaxed about the geometry. The head angle is over 70, the offset isn't that large, maybe the chainstay is a little longer than modern bikes, but within the limits of a rigid fork, that looks a pretty usable bike to me. Except that I'd be a bag of nerves riding a bike with such a sublime paint job that I could so easily damage!

Somehow I get the feeling that people think I'm slagging the Potts bikes off in some way................I'm not, they just don't suit me. :wink:

There may well be Loads of fireroad and hardpack over on your part of the island, but my local trails are Mid and North Wales and it's been a very long time since I've been able to manage anywhere near 50+ mile loops in that kind of terrain. It's kind of hard to avoid technical stuff round here. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:48 pm 
Klein Guru / BOTM Winner

John wrote:

please, i beg to differ... my bikes are in a different league :wink:

Carsten

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:33 am 
BoTY Winner
BoTY Winner

Kestonian wrote:
Superb collection! Thank you for sharing them. Seeing things like this just makes me want to keep buying more bikes ...

One question though - in the picture with all the bikes in a line, what's keeping them standing

up?!

Thanks!

They're against the wall at an angle. The slightest breeze would have knocked them all over. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:39 am 
BoTY Winner
BoTY Winner

Carlos the Slackal wrote:
More pics of the Otis Guy, please...!

It's undergoing a quasi-restoration, which I think will really unleash it's full potential.

Here it is right after I bought it. Dorky stem/bars, incorrect rear derailleur. Thats all been corrected now... :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v309/ ... G_3864.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:41 am 
BoTY Winner
BoTY Winner

dekerfintheshed wrote:
That is a true collector's collection, all are a thing of beauty (except, dare I say, the Slingshot, still don't get the concept)
The Salsa and both Potts stand out to me most but I'd happily throw a leg over any of 'em...
Looking at the relaxed geometry from the 80's kit also makes me realise I need to get my Fisher HKEK built up very soon too 8) 8) 8)

Thanks!

I kinda like the slacked geometry. Suits our terrain out here well.

Though I'm also bias towards a bike that descends better than climbs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:47 am 
BoTY Winner
BoTY Winner

John wrote:
Looking good 8)

Are they all ridden? Assume they are from your comments. That is cool.

Are they all keepers?

Only the 92 Potts isn't a 'real' rider. I'll ride it around town, but I don't think I could bring myself to hammer it to death. Same for the Tomac Raleigh.

Everything else is built to ride.

I can't say that everything is 100% a keeper. I build what I think I'll like. Ride it, and if I like it, it says. If it doesn't inspire me, it goes.

I've had Several Bontragers, an S-Works FSR and a Wicked Fat Chance. Just couldn't get into them. All sold now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next