1992 Klein Attitude gloss black, requesting assistance

eshew

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I am here to request your honest opinion on the damage to the head tube.

I recieved this bike in this condition. The brace on the manitou is rubbing into the head tube.

Is it possible to fix this headtube?

Aside from this issue the bike is in sound condition, paint is fair for its age.

Attachments

• 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    350 KB · Views: 786
  • 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    388.3 KB · Views: 786
my honest opinion is, away with the manitou. Get a pbone fork in black and it will be much better. ;)

it looks to be an aftermarket brace on those forks?

also, they are completely compressed, it looks like the elastomers have died.

so far it looks like only paint that has worn off the head tube?

agree on taking the manitou fork off. or trying to find and fit the original brace on it to see if it has proper clearance to the head tube

As a quick fix to stop any further issues ....you could put some small washers between the cantilever bridge and the forks till you can sort it out properly

It looks like it's been riden for ages with shot elastomers, if they were replaced the brace would be clear of the headtube.

Yes the fork is the cause. A little upset it wasn't sorted out sooner, but oh well.

I've got some elastomers from a Manitou 2 that I turned into a table lamp, they would probably fix the fork, but not solve any issues already apparent. Adding a few washers would certainly solve the rubbing. I'll have to give that a shot.

The Wife has now found a house to buy and I'm up against a wall, sell the frame & mc1 or wait and repaint or repair. I'm not sure that this frame will gather much interest to sell in its current state.

She's got me interested in the new house too, so much more room for projects like this :)

sylus":31r7v86y said:
As a quick fix to stop any further issues ....you could put some small washers between the cantilever bridge and the forks till you can sort it out properly

This is exactly what manitou used to do, particularly on their forks with 1.25" steerers. The 'washers' were rectangles of metal with two holes drilled in them which sat behind the brace and pushed it forward. I have some for a set of manitou 1 but they wouldn't fit these. Time to dig out a saw and drill!

LOL!
I was going to pick this up but after looking what I had hanging in the garage I could not justify it. Good price though.
I guess you were the "other intersted party" Tracy talked about.
You can get springs to replace the elastomers. Try ebay.
Once in they should move the brace away from the headtube.

Yep, I don't doubt that you'd pass on this one with that beautiful red one hanging in the garage, it would certainly be the ugly duckling.

Anyone have any info on reputable US based Klein repainters?

Here we go, Manitou factory spacers for 1.25 and thick alloy headtubes:

2A39444E-5DAE-4DFE-B8B7-8279D0184A91-5175-000010EB11CDE365.jpg

Back