Suntour to shimano

imperial21

Old School Hero
Hi
I have just got my 1990 cindercone , I have taken it for a ride this morning and have found the lower gears a little slippy !
I am thinking about changing the casette and chain but i dont think i can get a new suntour cassette so can i fit shimano casette and chain ?
The bike has suntour XCD group set which is original.
I am considering changing to shimano but i lose the originality i have !!
What should i do ????????

imperial21":gwmqiur9 said:
Thanks for that, I did see it by i am still stuck with chain too !

Ay 7 speed index chain will be fine - you can still get shimano HG70 for around £15. SRAM do good value ones too.

Suntour is alway more clunky that shimano - especially if you are moving lots of ratios at a time under any kind of load.

imperial21":22afz7h4 said:
How about using a shimano cassette ?

I have found that it works fine - the adjustment takes a bit more effort and you have to keep it 'tuned'.

Are you using X-Press shifters or thumbies? I have had more success with the latter.

If you do a few searches on here - and on the interweb - you'll get a few more opinions/experiences. :D

Loki":o974too7 said:
Suntour freehub, Shimano cassette = no go.

Yep - that is a bloody good point.. you'll need a new hub and a wheel build.

I'd go for a second hand Suntour cassette and a SRAM or shimano chain as Suntour ones are like rocking horse pooh and cost a fortune.

Oh Dear !!!!
I will try and buy that cassette on ebay but its different ratio to mine, I may just try changing the chain as it looks past its best !
Thanks

Back