Rare in the Extreme, British Exotica

Wold Ranger

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
I don't believe I've see another one of these on here and know Fusion Cycles were not around for long in the UK.
I believe Fusion moved to the USA and are now more Roadie orientated in Carbon and Alloy frames?
They tried to copy all the major players BITD in design and concept, but didn't sell (despite being superb frames) as the big US names were too much of a "must have" over here.
The same ethos which Knackered Raleigh, Dawes etc (Not very Patriotic are we! :cry: :oops: )
These were built in Taiwan to UK design from Tange Prestige Concept, the best steel tubes available back in 92.
Frame weighes a smidge over 4 pounds.
They shared the 1-1/4 head tube with other brands going down the Aluminium route, but with steel, which was unusual and makes for a very tight front end.
Tubes were butted and profiled in all directions, the seat/top tubes goes from Bi oval to square at the BB shell (not just ovalised).
Seat cluster is a blatant Ritchey P series copy, with seat stay and seat tube incorporated into one cluster with the barrel bolt through all three.
Top tube cable routing, was not that common then and has the built in pulley wheel, like Orange (again a plagerism)
It tracks incredibly well and is extremely quick to turn in the Single track, but still has that Steel Zing over the bumps and of course accelerates and climbs really well.
Finished bike is just under 22 pounds, but BB is a 150g Spesh one and Machine tech Canti/levers and Ti bars, Handmade Conti 330g tyres and 70g tubes etc all cut weight, as does the light wheelset.
It's just about a Shimano free Zone and only the rear mech let's it down, the Mavic triple MTB mech weighes a mere 70g and is much slicker than a Shimano offering.
Here it is, may do a few more mods, to drop weight a bit more, but think it looks as good as it rides:-

Fusion002.jpg

Fusion004.jpg

Fusion003.jpg

Plus one":17qm5hke said:
Ooooooh lovely :cool: I would love to see it sporting a silver straight blade fork ?

Col :)

That fork belongs with the frame and is very very light, ( Sub 700g )
A Pace fork etc, would be far heavier and not as good in the turns, also getting a one and a quarter steerer'd fork is tricky, An Accutrax, would be the only improvement you could really have.

Tidy looking bike - some lovely details in the frame design - nice build too.

I don't think it was all the UK buyers fault - Fusion didn't exactly help themselves in the marketing department - 'Fusion 0250' against 'Kona Explosif', 'Orange Prestige' or 'Team Marin'.

I have a feeling that they were closely linked to a distributor or bike shop chain as well?

Looks nice, is that the one that was split on here a few weeks ago?

I keep coming back to this, it is gorgeous love the deep berry purple of the frame and the devil may care purple overkill ;)

I have a lovely set of NOS hot pink tioga toe clips that would go great on there for £5 (Shameless plug I know ;) )

Thats Pretty mate, Minty....! :cool:

Next stop BOTM comp id say.. :cool:

Back