1991 Rocky Mountain Altitude

losvizzero

Senior Retro Guru
I present to you my old Altitude, taken recently by a friend to tell the truth :D
Now it is completely disassembled waiting for restoration, needs some new piece, or more to my taste.
I have a doubt about the many shortcomings of the frame, excluding the total repainting, how should I restore it??
thanks for any advice,hi :D

Attachments

• ALTITUDE.JPG
    ALTITUDE.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 4,922
  • Mountain Bike 2.jpg
    Mountain Bike 2.jpg
    349.7 KB · Views: 4,922
  • Mountain bike 4.jpg
    Mountain bike 4.jpg
    362.7 KB · Views: 4,923
here is the damage to the frame :?

Attachments

• wip13.JPG
    wip13.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 4,913
  • wip14.JPG
    wip14.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 4,914
  • wip15.JPG
    wip15.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 4,913
  • wip17.JPG
    wip17.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 4,913
  • wip18.JPG
    wip18.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 4,913
  • wip16.JPG
    wip16.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 4,912
restore... just ride it. looks in better condition paintwise than mine and I still regularly ride it.

this the one that's been sat on eBay for a long time?

anyway what shortcomings?

FluffyChicken":1cxzyc4y said:
restore... just ride it. looks in better condition paintwise than mine and I still regularly ride it.

this the one that's been sat on eBay for a long time?

anyway what shortcomings?

I know that cycling is fine, but I'd rather not leave uncovered areas stripped to prevent rust.
all here ;)

yes has been some time on ebay.

It looks in excellent condition for its age.

I would advise you first to thoroughly clean it, not T-cut, but just a slightly abrasive cleaner.
Second you could maybe tidy up the edges of the decals with a blade.
Third paint any bare steel with a a zinc-based stabiliser - we call it Hammerite Kurust in the UK, but I don't know whether that is sold in Italy. That will stop any surface rust and provide a basis for overpainting.
Fourth, touch up the treated areas with a close match model paint.
Finally, polish, stand back and admire.

thanks Anthony, this info I can be useful :D
cleaning has already been cleaned properly, and to the delight of my wife the frame is in the living room next to the TV :LOL:
hours will provide for the rest ;)

aside from aforementioned rust prep I'd only change the bottle cages & tyres (to black). if you ever decided to go rigid, the syncros fork as per original catalogue spec looks so good on that frame :)

another altitude… i'm jealous. definitely would touch it up and leave as is. that's not in bad condition at all. but those tyres must go! :twisted:

Back