Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:42 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: Kona Cindercone 1997
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:51 pm 
Dirt Disciple

This is my second 1997 Kona Cindercone. After a quick blat around the neighbourhood this afternoon I remembered what an awesome bike this is. It's taken a long time to restore as the seat post was stuck in. This was solved with a seat tube full of diesel for around a month with periodic doses of heat. It all standard including a brand new old stock Royal selle expedia saddle. It has thumb shifts rather than grip shift, but these were fitted from new. The only thing that lets the bike down is the Rockshox Judy XC forks, so i'll try and get some better ones. I've also got some period P2s on the way.

Image[size=50]

Next Project a 1995 Kona Fire Mountain... and the seatpost is also stuck tight... Oh joy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:13 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Nice! My first ever proper mountain bike was a 97 cinder cone. The frame is mint too! A set of P2's on that and she'll climb anything. Used to ridrfe rigid on all the technical trails. Happy memories - good job!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:15 pm 
Old School Hero

Very nice condition frame - nice one!

Post subject: Re: Kona Cindercone 1997
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:40 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Great-looking frame! I've always liked that blue and yellow combination.

chayanderson wrote:
The only thing that lets the bike down is the Rockshox Judy XC forks, so i'll try and get some better ones. I've also got some period P2s on the way.

Actually it's an Indy, which is why it's quite bad. If it was a Judy, it would be a lot better if in decent condition. By 1997, Rockshox had sorted the Judy internals pretty well, and a 97 Judy is actually a better fork than its reputation suggests. They're also worth less than 96 Judys, even though they work better!

Post subject: Re: Kona Cindercone 1997
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:11 am 
Devout Dirtbag

chayanderson wrote:
It all standard including a brand new old stock Royal selle expedia saddle. It has thumb shifts rather than grip shift, but these were fitted from new.

... Next Project a 1995 Kona Fire Mountain... and the seatpost is also stuck tight... Oh joy!

By the way, the Expedia is made by Selle Italia, not Selle Royal :D the catalogue picture of my '97 Manomano also shows twist shifters but mine was also delivered with LX STIs. By the way, there are many parts on your bike that look pretty familiar :D unfortunately my Avid levers rusted away ...

Stuck seatpost sounds familiar, last weekend I tried to get a stuck post out of my '92 Sawtooth, even after cooling it with dry ice for hours it didn't move at all ...

Mathias

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:42 am 
Dirt Disciple

Ok so I mixed up Royal Selle and also Indy and Judy... I'm really living up to my newbie status. Ok, here is a question for the purests. My first 97 cindercone had Race light writen on the frame whereas this one has mouintain shock on it. The only difference was this one came with front susp and my first one project 2s.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:52 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

chayanderson wrote:
Ok, here is a question for the purests. My first 97 cindercone had Race light writen on the frame whereas this one has mouintain shock on it. The only difference was this one came with front susp and my first one project 2s.

I think you've answered your own question there :wink: As far as I was aware, that was the only difference - I think all frames were suspension corrected so to speak, so a 97 P2 or an indy/judy fork would run the same geometry... but I await a superior kona master to correct me if need be...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:46 am 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

That is a lovely Cindercone, I have a 1998/99 Cindercone, I know it falls outside the Retro category slightly but its a great bike to ride, Kona fitted Bombers onto it as standard and they really work well with the frame.

Yours has come together nicely, I have often thought about sourceing one and doing an earlier Kona build, maybe after my Oranges and Proflex's i will look at doing one, yours certainly has given me some inspiration,

Jussa :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:24 pm 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider

Ok, here is a question for the purests. My first 97 cindercone had Race light writen on the frame whereas this one has mouintain shock on it. The only difference was this one came with front susp and my first one project 2s.[/quote]

As I understand it the bikes supplied with p2's fitted had race light on top tube
And the ones specced/supplied with front suspension had mountain shock on top tube.. My 94/95 lava dome/cindercone both have racelight and my
95 kula has mountain shock :)

Nice Cindy btw and welcome !

Col :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:27 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

Looks lovely, I always drooled over Kona's in my teens, along with Orange and Marin. After the re-birth of my P7, I may be looking for one of these in the new year (this hobby is as bad as playing guitar for my bank balance!!), not sure which yet though!