Advice Please - 98 Orange Clockwork 10th Anniversary Project

Rufistar

Retro Newbie
Hi Everyone,

My dad has very kindly given me his reasonably well maintained Orange Clockwork MTB as he is not using it anymore so I would like some advice regarding what I should keep, what should I replace, and what modifications I can make to it without losing it's character. I'm not overly familiar with spec especially from this era so forgive me for not knowing much but I am hoping to learn more through this project. I have never ridden it so I don't know what it handles like (currently has a rear flat). I would like to be able able to ride it single track if I can be convinced it will be worth the effort and expense but I also need a commuter bike. My other bike is a specialized Rockhopper which I like a lot and has served me well over the years in the Peak District, set up for trail riding which I would be willing to swap, sell or interchange parts to get the Orange up and running.

I understand that the Orange were mainly taylor built? I would love to hear some varied opinions as to what direction I should go with this build....

The current spec is:
Frame: Orange Clockwork Tenth Anniversary in very good condition
Ritchey hubs front and rear
Speed Master 24 14.4 wheels (no other markings)
nimbus 26x1.50 tyres
RST 461 shocks
Bontrager Crowbar bars
Ritchey Logic stem
Shimano STR rear
Orange Seat
Unnamed seat post

Many thanks
Rufistar

Attachments

• IMG_0426.jpg
    IMG_0426.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 1,008
I think there was probably a limited run of the anniversary models. Many clockworks were sold as complete bikes, but it was also quite popular to buy just a frame and build them into a bike. I don't know if this was equally true for your anniversary model, but would be surprised if they were not also sold as complete bikes.

Its hard to make recommendations for how to improve your bike without knowing more about condition and seen better pics. However, I'd guess it would benefit from a slightly shorter stem, maybe a change of grips, and tires to suit your purpose. Other than that, difficult to say without more info. If its been stood unused for a while i'd be checking the cables and chain to see if all is ok. Also check brake pads have plenty of rubber left and are adjusted ok.

Regarding more pricey "upgrades" that could be made, if it were me I'd be looking for a better fork.
That's my two penneth.

As above really Ruf, you need to ride it and find out what works, needs replacing etc. Plenty you could do but all comes down to how deep your pockets are. I'd defo change the forks for a better set but be warned that your bike is designed around 80 to 100mm forks so you don't want any longer ones. If you change gears etc then Shimano XT is always the safe choice.

If the wheels on your rockhopper are in good condition why not use both them and the Orange wheels, one set with off road tyres, one with the slicks on the Orange. Use a pair for single track and a pair for commuting. Job done. :D

I think it's just a handful of very early Clockwork's and then the modern full suss and monoque bikes.

P7, C16, Prestige, Ali 'O', Elite, Evo etc were/are built in the far east.

Many thanks for your tips...
I degreased the chain set tonight and gave it a wash down. Found a small rusty spot near a decal and a few scratches near the rear derailleur. Got a new tube for the back and took it round the block. The rear derailleur had partially seized up but just riding it for a bit seemed to loosen it. I'll give it a full clean tomorrow. Plan on riding it to work for a bit starting tomorrow on the semi-slicks which are in good condition. The v-brakes are set up well and seem to work fine.

The stem is a bit long and I can see how it might take some getting used to off road but as it came part and parcel with the frame I am reluctant to change it at the moment, although might consider it in the medium term.

I will look out for some secondhand forks. Has anyone got any recommendations? would like a lock out (doesn't have to be remote).

A friend at work seems to think that the rear Shimano LX gear set on the Rockhopper would be compatible with the Shimano STR derailleur so I will give it a blast with the offroaders (Continental Verticals) and mavic wheels maybe when I upgrade the forks.

Looks like I'll keep it for now. Might reluctantly sell the Rockhopper and get a road bike if all goes well!

STR ?? Do you mean STX ? You don't say what was seized on the rear mech, but my guess is the jockey wheels or pivots were a bit seized. Pivots should free up with a bit of gt85 or light oil. Jockeys can be replaced cheaply or unscrewed and re-greased. If you wanted to put an lx rear mech on however, it should work ok. Not sure what era your Rockhopper was, but ideally the lx mech would be an 8-speed compatible one. A 9-speed one would also be fine. A 7-speed one would be ok, but probably slightly harder to set up as the different size jockey would imply that the B-tension adjustment screw near the pivot would need tinkering with.

I'm sure you'll receive different views on the fork. My choice would be pace rc-36 or a later pace with the travel adjusted to a lower setting.

Thanks bl for views on the hand-made. Always thought some of the clockworks were hand made, but I couldn't recall if there was written evidence for this.

Hi raymondluxuryyacht,

Yes you are correct, should be STX. I've bought some GT85 and will give it a clean. I've run it out to work today (20 miles) and everything feels tight and precise... My dad says he had it serviced and it shows.

Thanks for the tips. Will swap the wheels over next week and gauge what my preference is. Rockhopper is about 8 years old now. I'm probably going to have to choose between the two and lose one. Don't know which yet.....

Back