1991 Trek 8700.....

feetabix

Retrobike Rider
With apologies to those involved in getting this across the pond and built up, who have been asking me to put finished pics up......those at mayhem will have seen it standing idly in the rain whilst i calmly blamed a bad knee for not riding, and got trollied on spence's ale........anyway.......here it is......no great story, it is a box ticker as the day i bought my first real bike i wheeled a '91 8000 past this in the shop, and tried not to look as it was the one i really wanted to be taking outside and home.......
P1030662.jpg

21 years on and the colours are as striking as they were then (apart from a little fork fade!).......it will be making an appearance at the peaks ride for those wishing to kick a leg over it!.....here is my bit for what i feel is an under represented group on here.....early treks!.....enjoy!.... :D

P1030661.jpg

P1030660.jpg

I too bought a Trek 8000 as my first real bike in 1991!!!! My brother still has it. White and Blue right!?? :p

BTW - Get some closed end ODIs on that bad boy pronto!

I love this bike…

I have to respray it but I need to try a sollution for the "Pollock" style on the neon orange :LOL:

yes, it was the white one with black marbling and blue decals!.....it was a great bike too!.....it was the one that lit my fire for all this nonsense, and the superbig fork was a head turner in an era of spindly cromo offerings at the time.....mine met its...(ha!....i just miss spelt that and wrote 'wet tits'!!.... :LOL: ...)....end under a lorry, but its memory lives on.....i agree a set of odi's would suit it nicely too!...it does ride nicely mark, you can fel that generic period trek thing in it too.....whats nice about this one is it has no milky delamination around the ends of the carbon tubes whatsoever, and is really very tidy....light too....the bike has clearly been sat face on to a window and the leading edge of the fork has faded, especially on the right leg, you can see where i think someone has taped a computer wire to the leg to see the contrast! i dont mind as it will be used, but i may in time try and sort it out.....24.....i recall a thread where someone painstakingly recreated the marbling and the neon transfers for a restoration.....i think chickenball was involved iirc, try a search with his monicker to see.....

I do like these, always have and always will. Another great job mate... :cool:

Nice bike feetabix :cool:

I agree treks from this time do seem far and few between on here, I wanted a 8000 BITD - I remember the full page ads they had in the magazines at the time.

If a nice 990 came up now I'd have it - quality bike - investment cast lugs and true tempers finest steel :cool:

thanks men......its a lovely colour isnt it!....its called 'conch' in the catalogue, which i like as a name too!.....in a chest clearingly manly way of course!....ade, the 990 model has always struck me as a no nonsense, all things to all men bike too, i have kept my eye open for one over recent years, the right one hasnt appeared yet but they look like a good dark horse.....carl....praise indeed sir from, in my humble opinion, the leading purveyor in these parts of pant wettingly lovely, double take retro mountain bikes!....i am honoured!.... :D

Remember seeing one of these in On Your Bike in Birmingham BITD..... thought wow..... 21 years later.. still thinking WOW!! What was the difference between this one and the one with the yellow forks? Stunning bike :cool:

Back