Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:58 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 24  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:13 pm 
Retro Guru

sinnerman wrote:
it is a thing of beauty, and makes a refreshing change.

I only thought it was repainted, because the waterbottle allen key heads have also been painted, its the usual tell.

Just an observation, but original Klein's typically have painted hardware. Both of my Rascals came with painted H2O bolts; one purchased by me new in 1992 and my recently acquired 1990. In a weird way the painted hardware adds a bit of authenticity. Most Klein owners back in the day replaced all those painted up bits with weird little colored anno parts or Ti.

Keep the painted hardware. It is sort of like having intentional overspray on a ground up car restoration. That is the way it originally came. :D

Very nice frame. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:05 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

utahdog2003 wrote:
sinnerman wrote:

I only thought it was repainted, because the waterbottle allen key heads have also been painted, its the usual tell.

Just an observation, but original Klein's typically have painted hardware. Both of my Rascals came with painted H2O bolts; one purchased by me new in 1992 and my recently acquired 1990. In a weird way the painted hardware adds a bit of authenticity. Most Klein owners back in the day replaced all those painted up bits with weird little colored anno parts or Ti.

Keep the painted hardware. It is sort of like having intentional overspray on a ground up car restoration. That is the way it originally came. :

Very nice frame. 8)

Odd because when i was retailing them, both before and after the Trek buyout, they Never came with painted H20 bolts (perhaps its that transatlantic difference again), and imho it looks well shoddy to me, like a massive after thought.

But its of little importance, i like the white, and i like Klein too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:23 pm 
Retro Guru

State side MC1 kleins came with all hardware painted. MC2s did not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:25 pm 
Retro Guru

sinnerman wrote:
utahdog2003 wrote:
sinnerman wrote:

Keep the painted hardware. It is sort of like having intentional overspray on a ground up car restoration. That is the way it originally came. :

Very nice frame. 8)

Odd because when i was retailing them, both before and after the Trek buyout, they Never came with painted H20 bolts (perhaps its that transatlantic difference again), and imho it looks well shoddy to me, like a massive after thought.

Weird. I certainly can't speak for all Kleins but in my experience the bolts are painted.

Come to think of it, my Dolomite Quantum had painted bolts too. You are right though, in the long run it isn't a big deal. I like the white a bunch. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:26 pm 
Retro Guru

utahdog2003 wrote:
Weird. I certainly can't speak for all Kleins but in my experience the bolts are painted.

Come to think of it, my Dolomite Quantum had painted bolts too. You are right though, in the long run it isn't a big deal. I like the white a bunch. 8)

Switch from painted to non-painted bolts came at the same time as the switch from MC1 to MC2, nothing to do with Trek.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:30 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

utahdog2003 wrote:
sinnerman wrote:
utahdog2003 wrote:
sinnerman wrote:

Very nice frame. 8)

It certainly wouldnt be the first time, subtle things like this Occur, i have now seen it with Bontrager too, Mainly thanks to Hollister and his imput.

Im still at a loss as to how i would build/spec it, but we are now five pages into the thread, im sure Nader has a Plan and sum excellent pics lined up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:47 pm 
Retro Guru

mkozaczek wrote:
utahdog2003 wrote:

Switch from painted to non-painted bolts came at the same time as the switch from MC1 to MC2, nothing to do with Trek.

There you go then. My Klein experiences all predate MC2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:24 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

hi!!!
sure that in the 1993 with mc1 the hardware was painted.
in 1995, (with the mc2) the hardware were not colored;
but in 1994 (there was already mc2) I don't remember the hardware!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:26 pm 
Retro Guru

il_ricercatore_74 wrote:
hi!!!
sure that in the 1993 with mc1 the hardware was painted.
in 1995, (with the mc2) the hardware were not colored;
but in 1994 (there was already mc2) I don't remember the hardware!

I have several 94 Kleins and none had painted bolts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:19 pm 
Retro Guru

Here's another facotry MC1 in white (although painted during MC2 era, but still)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 24  Next