*** 1995 Orange P7 restoration *** NOW FINISHED

P7-Man

Dirt Disciple
And so we begin..

This is my ever faithful but long deserted Orange P7, purchased during the summer of 1995 (not that you should reveal a ladies age, but her frame number identifies her birthday as June 1995). Several years of solid MTB'ing predate many more in the wilderness of being lent to my brother (road use) before finally being retired to my attic.

There she has sat, for at least four years, gathering dust and ageing gracefully. My previous bikes, in chronological order are as follows;
- 2008 On-One Scandium 29'er (didn't like the 29" wheels, so sold)
- 2009 Giant Anthem X2 (broke this one)
- .. replaced with 2011 Anthem X2 (a lovely bike but doing everything so well I lost connection with the trails, sold on)
- .. for 2011 On One 456 Carbon hardtail/single-speed (a great bike, but I had the crazy idea of trying Cyclocross - sold to fund what was in retrospect, a mistake. Returned to store for a full refund and here we are..)

This neatly brings me full circle. When I realized how the CX wasn't for me it got me thinking about what I wanted as my next bike. Loathe to stump up another £1500+ for a decent hardtail et al, I stumbled across inspiration via this site - http://orangeproject.wordpress.com/. Credit to Chris Gillespie (thanks Chris).

I like the colour scheme he's used for his wonderful looking P7. My steed will be restored for the discipline she was created for; MTB'ing. So no bladed carbon blades (however pimpy they look), but I will probably be nicking Chris' colour scheme and simple look.

Without further adieu, here is my start point.
DSC03405.jpg

DSC03408.jpg
[/list]

More to come as I get her up and running. First things first will be the frame and fork. I think I'll move away from the nickel plating and get her sand-blasted and then powder coated white, re-decalled and then lacquered.

I'm thinking single-speed via http://www.velosolo.co.uk (used these folk before and their kit is first class). Trouble is, how do I run SS on the P7. I don't think the BB shell will take an eccentric BB. I don't really like chain tension devices and I'm REALLY REALLY loath to chop out the vertical drops for new horizontal drops - to me, it feels as though I'll be wounding the old girl.

Ideas, please?

Buzz.

Might have to go the way of reverting back to a triple, but we'll see.

A more immediate issue is my seized cro-moly seat post.

Any new ideas out there, please? I've had a look at the collective wisdom of Sheldon Brown. Any recommended products?

There is so much seatpost showing you should just be able to twist the seat (use a crap seat if you have one in case you bend the rails) and with enough force it should pop free.

Turn it upside down and soak in plus gas for a few days before (penetrating oil).

The frame will not accept Ecc. Bottom bracket. For single speed you will need a rear mech type pulley, about £10.

I'd put gears on it though. More fun.

Oh, and that chrome looks in way too good condition to sand blast. Again, just my opinion but its iconic and looks really good condition.

Another trick once your soaked in oil is clamp the Seatpost in a vice and twist the frame... You"ll get more leverage. I'm 95% sure there is a shim between the post and the frame so it shouldn't be that bad.

Agree with Coombes that from this distance the nickel finish looks too nice to do in white.... However if you do want to paint here is my 2003 with 2010 decals for you.

P7WF1.jpg

Thanks guys.

Yep, the seatpost does have a shim between it and the frame. Today I soaked it in Plusgas and took it to a local motorbike garage where they've a HUGE vice. Success in as much I've broken the chemical bonding, but failure in that I've yet to get the son of a bitch post out. The damned noise that came from me twisting the frame whilst the post was clamped was unreal, I can tell you.

It is seriously stuck in place; though I've got the bugger going by a good centimeter or so. Just a question of more soaking in Plusgas and then persistent persuasion of the elbow grease variety... :evil:

The pictures do the nickel coating WAY too much justice; it's very worn/patchy in most places and I'm thinking it's for the best that it comes off. That said, I have considered having her re plated and lacquered - after all, it's such a great look. Decisions decisions..

Anyone know of any reputable plating companies?

@ dablk - thanks for the pic. Am loving the white, though I'm thinking of a black fork for mine. What did you pay to get yours done?

Buzz.

Hi mate, I supplied the graphics.. £20 inc head badge from orange direct and had Jason at Brian rourke in stoke do the paint for around £100. Excellent paint job for the price especially as it was two colours. Flip side is they are good but very very very busy so don't expect it back in a week!

Surprised you got that much help but so little out of the seat post!

Being away from the world of gears for so long now, what is hot and what's not at the moment? Double or triple chain ring? Shimano or SRAM. Looking at up to mid-range, price wise.

The seat post has had two days of Plusgas abuse. I shall resume my attack tomorrow morning. Stand by!

If your going modern the have a look at merlin cycles group set bundles...best price I found kicking around.. They do Deore 9 speed with v brakes for £200. Then do 9 or 10 speed slx,xt,xtr with or without disc brakes.. You would then need Deore or xt v brakes on top.

However it would be a shame to not use the canti brake bridge as you have one.

Thanks dablk,

A buddy of mine recommends Magura hydraulically operated rim brakes.

Any experience of these?

Any recommendations?

Latest posts

Back