Replacing quill stem question

MD1

Dirt Disciple
My bike has an ugly 1" quill stem that has been made to fit my 1 1/8 tube... I believe.
It 's not the original stem and doesnt look right..
25qaf.jpg

the original...
6249-cadex-3-1.jpg

So I've removed the stem to see whats going on..
This is how it looks.
35i26c0.jpg

The shim bit of the stem half sits on top of the steerer inside the tube whilst the thinner area of the stem goes inside the steerer inside the tube..

I am totally confused as to how I can fit a new stem?
Is there any guides on this?

Thank you

poweredbypies":23grajb2 said:
A 1 1/8 stem should fit in chap plenty of those still around.

The quill has 22.2mm stamped on it on the part that fits into the fork steerer.
Does this mean that I have a 1" stem?
Whats the point of the shim? the shim doesn't go inside the fork steerer.
And I've been told these bikes are 1 1/8.

I'm too confused

poweredbypies":3dph8nve said:
You need a 1 1/8" or in mils a 25.4mm one. The shim is someones bodge to get that stem to fit.

Thanks for your replies.

The shim part does not go in to the fork steerer it sits on top of the steerer, It seems to act like a stopper to stop the stem going too far in.

Is the stem supposed to go inside the steerer? because I don't think a 1 1/8 would fit inside the steerer because the current stem has 22.2mm stamped on it and it fits perfect inside the steerer.

Sorry If I sound dumb, I literally haven't got a clue and I'm trying to understand before I buy any parts.

Regards

looks like a 1.1/8 wedge has been used with a 1" (22.2) stem.

the alloy shim at the top must just sit inside the headset locknut to 'steady' it all.

i can't see it being anything else than 1.1/8"(25.4 stamped on stem)

plenty around, ask in wanted section for something suitable. ;)

marc two tone":268ddhac said:
looks like a 1.1/8 wedge has been used with a 1" (22.2) stem.

the alloy shim at the top must just sit inside the headset locknut to 'steady' it all.

i can't see it being anything else than 1.1/8"(25.4 stamped on stem)

plenty around, ask in wanted section for something suitable. ;)
You are spot on.
Thank you, very helpful

Although it was a bodge, that was actually quite a good bodge as bodges go, and shouldn't have done any damage whatsoever.

The point about the stem having to be a 25.4 to fit a 1 1/8 steerer is that classically the steerer walls were 1/16th thick, so you need a 1" tube to fit inside the 1 1/16" one.

Anthony":gbie86hs said:
Although it was a bodge, that was actually quite a good bodge as bodges go, and shouldn't have done any damage whatsoever.

The point about the stem having to be a 25.4 to fit a 1 1/8 steerer is that classically the steerer walls were 1/16th thick, so you need a 1" tube to fit inside the 1 1/16" one.
Ok
thats confused me a bit again lol

So do I order a new 1 1/8" quill threaded stem? or 1"?
Regards

Back