Weekend Yeti Build Up

RawBikeCo

Senior Retro Guru
First free weekend for a while so spent my time wisely by building up my Yeti Fro :)

Brief history, bought this Yeti Pro Fro from Scant a short while ago and although it had been powder coated the finish wasn't as good as it could have been so I started by gently flatting it off, then took any smaller imperfections out with some fine grade paper. Then took it round to the body shop I use for a few coats of clear. Finish is much better, and while they were doing this I had removed the cable stops and had them painted black as the silver finish was bit tatty.

Attachments

• IMG_2305.JPG
    IMG_2305.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 1,025
  • IMG_2307.JPG
    IMG_2307.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 1,025
  • IMG_2308.JPG
    IMG_2308.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 1,025
  • IMG_2131.JPG
    IMG_2131.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 1,025
  • IMG_2133.JPG
    IMG_2133.JPG
    20.9 KB · Views: 1,025
Then she hung on my workshop wall for a few weeks looking like it would be the usual months or even years of searching for the just right parts.......so i decided to raid my parts bin and just build the thing up and ride it.

Now I didn't have all the bits I wanted but was aching to ride it so this will be a work in progress, and the weekends work and aim was to get it ready for a ride to work this week.

Decals I already had from Gil and he did a great job on the 'Pro Fro' decals as he didn't have those on file.

Forks/stem and bars were nicked off my Ultimate which is nowhere near finished :roll:

Suntour XC pro thumbies and brakes will stay but DX rear mech and far to modern Raceface turbine cranks are first to be replaced once I find something more suitable (sure I had a XC pro mech somewhere!!)

But these will get me going for now and I think they look acceptable.

Attachments

• IMG_2315.JPG
    IMG_2315.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 1,018
  • IMG_2318.JPG
    IMG_2318.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 1,018
  • IMG_2313.JPG
    IMG_2313.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 1,018
  • IMG_2310.JPG
    IMG_2310.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 1,018
I nearly bought that frame from Scant - glad it went to someone who would get it on the road sooner than I might have. Plus it really is a bit too big for me - but that has never stopped me before.

I tend to do the same thing as you - think I have a certain part (and usually do, just can't find it when I am looking), then canibalize one of my otehr bikes just so I can get the "new" one on the trails.

Looking forward to hearing how it rides.

Well shes a runner, here's a few pics before my ride into work this morning....she's dirty now :roll:

Handling wise it's not what I thought it would be like, not the best climber, but were it does shine is on descents :) There is one particular down hill section that if I'm on an older bike you need to back off a bit and take into account that it wont take the corners or brake like a more modern bike, this just flew down it, I can see why JT did well on these ;)

Attachments

• IMG_2333.JPG
    IMG_2333.JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 876
  • IMG_2335.JPG
    IMG_2335.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 876
  • IMG_2329.JPG
    IMG_2329.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 876
its cool hey. i like the simplicity of it. even the modern crankset and chainguide look fine i reckon.

nice one! finish of the paint looks good now. How about switching the chain guard for a Paul chainkeeper?

Back