Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:04 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:28 pm 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider

Eck you know 66s are 160-180mm travel don't you? Think that might be a touch OTT for this frame! Looks good as is, I've always fancied a shot of a headshock to see what's compared to a real suss fork.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:59 pm 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider

Rumble wrote:
Eck you know 66s are 160-180mm travel don't you? Think that might be a touch OTT for this frame! Looks good as is, I've always fancied a shot of a headshock to see what's compared to a real suss fork.

nope i never knew that :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:40 pm 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider

Rumble wrote:
compared to a real suss fork.

Cheek! Whatever do you mean ;)

Turns out cannondale still make compatible springs! They're for a 60mm fatty fork but will work with my 50mm version just a bit more preload. Dr Cannondale even have them in all 3 spring weights. Only £20 so worth a punt. How many other companies still support their 19 year oil part?s (well, except Pace)

Checked serial number, so I now definitely know its an August 93 frame.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:29 pm 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider

Been 5 months since the inital (only) ride so time for an update.
Got the replacement fork spring but couldn't get it fitted. Managed first part of fork strip but the internals need a specific castle tool which isn't made anymore. No-one on here had one (or would admit to it anyway) and even an old mate who's been 'dale daft for years didn't have one. Thumbprint are £90 for a service which is more than the frame and forks cost me in the first place, and that was assuming nothing else was wrong.
So I've been keeping an eye out on eBay but they've always been too expensive, disc only or one of the bright colours. Couple of weeks ago I saw a nice pair of Fattys in a platinum silvery colour. Newer than the frame, don't know exactly how old but has disc and canti mounts and an air spring with lock out. Got them fitted at weekend and they look good. Wasn't sure about the colour from the ebay ad but quite happy now they're fitted. Squishy oil noise from them so could probably do with a service but they hold air and the lock out and rebound both work so I'm not going to worry. Might get them done for the summer but I'm just going to ride for now.
Also picked up a 5 arm Coda chainset from another seller and got that fitted to carry the Cannondale branding further.

IMG_0196 by steven.clubb, on Flickr

Hopefully that's me sorted for now. As Velo says, they're the Apple Mac of the bike world, great if you stick to brand parts but a pain in the arse if you want to modify anything. I know everyone says old headshoks are a pain, but to me that's part of the charm of cannondales.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:03 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Great bike I'm on the lookout for one myself

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:54 pm 
Retro Guru

Like that, its a 19'' frame so how tall are you? Im always confused by diffrent manufactures sizes etc.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:40 pm 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider

I'm 5'9 but have short legs and a long body. Fits me great, good standover with the delta frame. Was a bit long with original 150mm stem, feels much better with the current one (120mm I think).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:46 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

Looks great now, ironically I really fancy another one now! :(

TC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:11 pm 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider

Another update on the original fork saga - they're fixed!!!

Was riding with OCP, a fellow retrodale fan earlier this month and he mentioned that a long time mechanic at Edinburgh Bike Co-op knew about older headshoks and they still had the tools to strip the cartridge out. Was down in Edinburgh on Wednesday for a training course so I popped in and spoke to one of the mechanics. He found the tool but said they wouldn't work on it but if I knew what to do I could use the tool for a small fee. He spoke to another mechanic to find out how much and it turned out to be the guy who knew about the forks. He took the cartridge out for me and I swapped the knackered elastomer for the new spring kit and he put the fork back together again for me, in return for some biscuits (although I threw in a case of beer as well). That chain of stores gets a bit of slagging sometimes but the guys I dealt with were really helpful and my 20 year old forks are back on the road again.

This however has led to me spending even more money on my budget build. I'd seen a set of Coda cantilevers on eBay along with the matching force 40 cable hangers, but the fatty forks I'd bought didn't have the mounting point needed. With the old forks working again I had no excuse not to buy them, so they're on their way. This means I have to remove the STI units in place at the moment and replace them with canti brake levers and 7 speed XT thumbshifters utilising the secret eighth click. Trouble is the gear cables won't reach from the bottom of the bars to the top so I'm going to have to re-do all the cabling. I also may as well redo the brake cabling so the v's and canti's have a dedicated set up making it easier to swap in the future.
After all this, bloody eBay start sending me matching listings and I've been tempted by a polished set of Coda cranks from the states. Exactly the same as what I had fitted not long ago but polished not anodised. I've also bought a 100mm 25° stem, as even with the 120mm I still felt right over the front of the bike. Hopefully the seller can fit it into the same fixed price overseas envelope to save me postage.
Also, the nobby nics I had lying about when I built the bike have gone and have been replaced with Ritchey Z-maxs. Look madly skinny ( especially next to the fat bike, 1.9 vs 4.8!) but suitably retro.

One last dilemma. I love the XT seatpost but it I've had it since new (1990) and the finish is pretty worn. You'd be too after 23 years and many different frames. I have a modern Cannondale one that I took of my Flash 29er when I put the carbon Save post on, and it looks brand new, but will it look too out of place?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:25 am 
Devout Dirtbag

I've exaclty the same problem as you have... You Always want more ! :-P
I've started with an Alpinestars cromega DX 92. I was so happy with it ! Great bike ! But when the bike is ok, you want another one ! And with eBay it's so easy to find EVERYTHING !!! :shock:
After that I absolutely wanted one of the best bike I've ever had... A Delta V ! Actually, the Delta V 1500 was my first "real" competition bike. It was a beast !! 8) and now I've bought an immaculate 93 Delta V 1000... On ebay :mrgreen:
After that, I've bought a full original 88 Raleigh Maverick and today, my last project is to make my 97 Manitou HT come back to life.

So, yes it seems it's the same for everybody... You Always want more :mrgreen:
Just on advise : keep going ! Your Delta V is lovely :shock:

Here is pic of my Delta V 1000 :D

Attachments:
rps20130316_072455_475.jpg
rps20130316_072455_475.jpg [ 148.21 KiB | Viewed 425 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next