Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:28 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:13 pm 
BoTM Winner / retrobike rider
BoTM Winner / retrobike rider

BFG wrote:
It just seems odd that someone would lovingly craft that seat tube together and them just tack on that piece of strengthening on the down tube :?

It also seems odd to me that someone could invest so much time and effort creating iconic frames, and then appear to not give a sh*t about them once they left the workshop!
There's one person who could tie-up so many of these loose ends, but it seems that they're just not interested :?

As far as I'm aware, the purple one is being looked at by local frame builder (a former Enigma employee) early next week.
If I hear anything as a result, then I'll pass it on

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:18 pm 
West Midlands Deputy AEC
West Midlands Deputy AEC

sinnerman wrote:
it makes me wanna drive there to see it, thats for sure....

I know the feeling I am sat here convincing myself that there is too much work to do on it and the full campy groupset in the garage really wouldn't go on it and its too small...... kinda hope it ends up on eBay though - repair required or not it could go high I think :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:24 pm 

[/quote]How did you rate it in comparison to the pace...?[/quote]

The Pace was much better for racing, but it was really harsh on the backside. For out of the saddle acceleration the Pace would win hands down, however through technical stuff I would have to say the Overbury was much better.

Over all I preferred the ride of the Overbury's. Stupidly I no longer have the Overbury's but still have the Pace, although I have converted it into a cyclo-cross bike.

Last edited by BFG on Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:27 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

nevadasmith wrote:
sinnerman wrote:
it makes me wanna drive there to see it, thats for sure....

I know the feeling I am sat here convincing myself that there is too much work to do on it and the full campy groupset in the garage really wouldn't go on it and its too small...... kinda hope it ends up on eBay though - repair required or not it could go high I think :)

Mate i saw it thought, Dont do it......too much work, (which i honestly believe it is). but then maybe some one will just use it as is for what it is, a bike.

Perhaps im getting too anal, and too old, and far far too sentimental in my old age.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:37 pm 
West Midlands Deputy AEC
West Midlands Deputy AEC

sinnerman wrote:
Mate i saw it thought, Dont do it......too much work, (which i honestly believe it is). but then maybe some one will just use it as is for what it is, a bike.

I have no money - saving for the Formula bill in only two months time.... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:11 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

makster wrote:
It also seems odd to me that someone could invest so much time and effort creating iconic frames, and then appear to not give a sh*t about them once they left the workshop!

I don't think that is so uncommon; as far as the builder is concerned I have got the impression from conversations I have had with a couple that 'that was then and this is now' and that they have moved on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:41 am 

I am quietly listening to all that is being said. All I can personally tell you is that the frame and forks were purchased from Overburys in Bristol, of that I am certain.I lived in Bath at the time. It was purchased and put together by an old boyfriend who was a massive bike fan ( at the time he had a couple of Rocky Mountains which I think he had imported and an Alpinestars bike)
He put it together for me because he had plonked me on the Alpinestars bike and it was treacherously too big!
If this bike was repaired in any way... it was not since I have had it (1991) I have no recollection of it having been repaired prior to purchase either... I am pretty sure I would know if that was the case. But hey... we are talking 20 odd years ago! As there is no way of contacting Mr P it seems, I have taken it upon myself to try and contact the guy that put it together for me. He probably would be as fascinated by this story as any of you! If I hear anything back I will let you know. Similarly once I have had some professional eyes look at the frame I shall let you know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:51 am 
BoTY Winner
BoTY Winner

That will throw the cat among the pigeons!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:58 am 
BoTM Winner / PoTM Winner
BoTM Winner / PoTM Winner

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:00 am 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

scoobybrighton wrote:
I am quietly listening to all that is being said. All I can personally tell you is that the frame and forks were purchased from Overburys in Bristol, of that I am certain.I lived in Bath at the time. It was purchased and put together by an old boyfriend who was a massive bike fan ( at the time he had a couple of Rocky Mountains which I think he had imported and an Alpinestars bike)
He put it together for me because he had plonked me on the Alpinestars bike and it was treacherously too big!
If this bike was repaired in any way... it was not since I have had it (1991) I have no recollection of it having been repaired prior to purchase either... I am pretty sure I would know if that was the case. But hey... we are talking 20 odd years ago! As there is no way of contacting Mr P it seems, I have taken it upon myself to try and contact the guy that put it together for me. He probably would be as fascinated by this story as any of you! If I hear anything back I will let you know. Similarly once I have had some professional eyes look at the frame I shall let you know.

To be fair to you, i think we all want it to be in good shape, original and not repaired. These are sought after as you can probably see.

I know it was 20 odd years ago, but can you remember why the front fork is in the original colour whilst the frame is different/purple...?

Could you take some better pics for us all, this may help, all the suppostion is based merely on a single picture.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next